Algae floating

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Hi everyone

Congratulations for the forum, it is very interesting, I have been looking for information for a long time and I think this is the right place.
Sorry about English, I use the google translator since I don't speak it well.
I have created a pond to swim with 5 Carassius auratus, it has been filled with water for 8 months, at 5 months small green things elongated 0.5in began to appear in the EPDM that I surrounded with a red circle in the photo, are they algae or biofilm ?.
20200414_215303.jpg

20200506_184719.jpg

Currently with 8 months, something similar appears floating, algae or biofilm? Is it normal?
20200809_124332.jpg

20200809_124212.jpg

20200809_124319.jpg

20200809_124300.jpg

20200809_124501.jpg

It takes a lot of work to remove it since the pond has 83m2 (147yd2) and 123m3 (160yd3), I have to put pumps with more power for the skimmers since it has to go against the wind, with pool net it sneaks.
A solar pump 8m3 / h (10.5yd3 / h) is working all day in the pond, which recirculates the water through the gravel, has a depth of 1 to 1.8m (3´ to 6´ft), receives sun all day, I only renew water when it evaporates. The skymer is usually off as it needs more power and more outlets to create a stream. I have never fertilized the plants.
If not for this, the water is quite clear, you can see the bottom at 1yd.
Any solution apart from the skimmer?
It is in Galicia (Spain)
Thank you

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! Very nice pond! That’s all pretty normal. You can get a pool skimmer net and just net all that stuff out. The more plants you can have in the pond, the better.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I agree with @Mmathis - beautiful pond! Get more plants in it (growing in the pond if they aren't already), get more water moving (some aerators if you don't already have them, if you do add more!) Your pond will eventually find it's balance. The algae on the liner is perfectly normal - in fact, you want that. The lines you see are probably from tiny creatures that consume the algae - also normal. The floating algae is a nuisance, but just a sign that things are still being worked out biologically. I'm not familiar with the fish you mentioned - I'll have to go use google myself!

What a gorgeous setting - what country are you in?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
OH! haha! GOLDFISH!

You could have HUNDREDS of fish in a pond that size! Hopefully your fish will reproduce quickly and you'll have a whole herd to swim with!

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum. Very nice pond.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum! Very nice pond!

Get some shubunkins if you can they add a lot of color to the pond.

Reaction score
Country
Spain
I agree with @Mmathis - beautiful pond! Get more plants in it (growing in the pond if they aren't already), get more water moving (some aerators if you don't already have them, if you do add more!) Your pond will eventually find it's balance. The algae on the liner is perfectly normal - in fact, you want that. The lines you see are probably from tiny creatures that consume the algae - also normal. The floating algae is a nuisance, but just a sign that things are still being worked out biologically. I'm not familiar with the fish you mentioned - I'll have to go use google myself!

What a gorgeous setting - what country are you in?
Thanks for the answers.
I am in Vigo (Spain). I already have enough plants planted but they still have to grow, but I'll put some more in, I understand that by increasing them the nutrients will be reduced and with it the algae, I will improve the current created by the skimmer, the algae will leak through the pool skimmer net, I will look for one finer, I will find some aerator for the pond.
For aeration now I only have a waterfall
DSC_05633.jpg

Last edited:

Ask a Question