Algae growing faster than plants

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is year three of this pond. Towards the end of last year I started to get this algae that sticks to the side and reaches to the surface. This year that algae is overtaking everything. It is pretty easy to pull out (I use a toilet brush and spin it around). The problem is I can do that everyday and the next morning it is back...maybe even more.

I put in Water Hyacinth which did good in previous years but it just sits there (Doesn't grow or die). How can the algae do great and not the plants?

Is there anything i can do to get rid of it....or at least tame it?

Pond is 250ish gallons. 3 small goldfish, filter material in the waterfall cleaned about every 5-7 days (Except the lava rock).

For what it is worth, the fish are happy, and I have on average three or so frogs. They kind of come and go on rainy days from a local pond.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• pond61618.jpg
    pond61618.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 269

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
How much circulation do you have? Pump gph?

Do you have more plants than what is pictured? Just see lilies and water hyacinths

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, there are three water hyacinths. And then two water lilies. It is a 650 gph pump. I do have a UV, just not in now. I usually only use it the first few weeks of spring to get rid of any green water if it shows up.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Yes, there are three water hyacinths. And then two water lilies. It is a 650 gph pump. I do have a UV, just not in now. I usually only use it the first few weeks of spring to get rid of any green water if it shows up.
UV won't help with string Algae. Some of the problem is that you don't have enough coverage on your pond. You should probably have twice as much. Have you tried using barley bales. Or maybe buy some small barley bails and but some liquid pond clarifier that uses barley. I say that because it will probably take three weeks for the barley to start working. It takes time for the barley to break down and be efective. The bottem line in my opinion is that you need more plants to cover the water surface. You need to get a good balance, you can buy some anacharis or hortwort for submerged plants then some duckweed for the surface until you can get it under control. IMHO

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
From what I've learned from everyone else, the algae will settle down once things are in balance. The algae is growing because it's very happy with lots of nutrients and sun. As the lily pad leaves increase, they will provide more shade. If you are feeding the fish, stop or at least cut WAY back. The fish will start eating the algae. With less excess nutrients (food and poop) in the water, the algae will slow down. I think your pond looks really nice!

Reaction score
Country
United States
From what I've learned from everyone else, the algae will settle down once things are in balance. The algae is growing because it's very happy with lots of nutrients and sun. As the lily pad leaves increase, they will provide more shade. If you are feeding the fish, stop or at least cut WAY back. The fish will start eating the algae. With less excess nutrients (food and poop) in the water, the algae will slow down. I think your pond looks really nice!

Thanks, yes the lillies are starting to put out more leaves. Last year ended about 80 percent covered. I also just noticed the algae was all over the roots of the hyacinths. I cleaned them and put them back. Maybe that will help. As for the fish I tend to not feed them. Maybe once a week or two just so they are not scared and hide all the time. I will keep manually removing it and hopefully it gets better as the season rolls on. i have to tell myself it is still early.

Reaction score
Country
United States
UV won't help with string Algae. Some of the problem is that you don't have enough coverage on your pond. You should probably have twice as much. Have you tried using barley bales. Or maybe buy some small barley bails and but some liquid pond clarifier that uses barley. I say that because it will probably take three weeks for the barley to start working. It takes time for the barley to break down and be efective. The bottem line in my opinion is that you need more plants to cover the water surface. You need to get a good balance, you can buy some anacharis or hortwort for submerged plants then some duckweed for the surface until you can get it under control. IMHO

Hornwort sounds like an excellent idea also! Used to have that in my tank and it grew like mad!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Here's a link to another forum which discusses the use of Algae Fix in a pond:

http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showthread.php?62264-AlgaeFix-active-ingredient-LC50-data

Needless to say, I am not a fan. I would recommend either hydrogen peroxide or sodium percarbonate. Both also kill algae and both have been proven to be safe to fish and other aquatic life. Remember - your pond is teeming with life that you cannot see. A product that kills algae will likely wipe out all of the microscopic life in your pond and may even kill your fish if you dose it wrong.

Ask a Question