Algae on pond liner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI i have recently made a pond its 6m x 4m 2 foot deep and we have started to get Algae on the pond liner and blocking up by fountain i am using a hozelock easyclear 9000 is there any products to eradicate the Algae we haven't got any plants in yet as on order i have added some photos hope this helps .Many thanks
IMG_4681.JPG
IMG_4682.JPG
IMG_4683.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I was also going to say "good for you!" Algae in a pond is a good thing. We've demonized one of our pond's best friends unfortunately.

Now if you have an algae overgrowth, you need to see that as a symptom of another problem - too many nutrients in the pond. But keep your fish load low, add lots of plants, keep the organic material out as much as possible and your pond will find a natural balance.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
A light layer of algae is excellent! In fact, if you have a pond with fish and are hoping to emulate nature, that little bit of algae disguises and "naturalizes" the black liner, helping it blend in and look less artificial!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Agree...that bio-film is a natural part of your filtration and part of the basic ecology of your pond.

You don't want a sterile "hospital clean" pond. That would be unhealthy for the inhabitants.

Personally, I would rather see a bit of green than an unnatural looking rubber liner.

Please don't add any "miracle" algecides or any other snake oils. If you really have a serious algae bloom (green water), there are natural ways to deal with that. The most common cure is to add plenty of plant life. The root of that particular problem can be several things. Some being inadequate filtration, too much of a fish load, too much sun exposure and as mentioned, not enough plant life to compete with and starve out the algae

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1588435057923.gif
@Telscossie
Green on sides and bottom is great carpet algae! Stuff is always gonna clog up those fountain filters. Sometimes putting them in a mesh bag or bucket w/the pump in the bottom of bag/bucket surrounded in there by Matala filter media can help. That way it takes longer for it to clog and the media collects all the crud first. Eventually you will still need to clean it all out.

Ask a Question