algae on walls and bottom

Reaction score
Just wondering what the best thing to do is. I have an approximately 2600-2900 gallon pond (it's irregularly shaped). Have a skimmer filter with single UV light, 2600gph pump, pressurized biofilter w/UV and a water fall. Have 5 koi presently (3 12 inches; 2 6 inches). Have water lillies and anacharis that is well established. Water condition is looking great! Crystal clear. My question is how do I best remove the green gunk left on the walls and floor of the pond. I would like the black of the liner to show thru as opposed to the algae green that covers the walls and floor. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Hi Silken,
I've used two things for that problem and one or the other usually works pretty well. Green Clean is a granular product that is a contact type of algaecide. It's much safer than most chemicals I think if it's used sparingly. I like to treat spots with it like you described.

The other thing is beneficial bacteria. I don't know if you use that from time to time but I like to supplement with this from time to time.

You might check out Pond Algae Solutions which is where I get both products. From what I can tell you can use both together or either one and it might work for you.

Hope this provides some help with the algae.

Allen

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Yesterday I received a call from a ponder that treated his pond for algae using commercially available, promoted by pond suppliers, chemicals. His $20K investment in show quality Koi all died.:skull:

Algae can be treated without chemicals, my pond is so clear, you can see the details on a dime at 30". I do have some algae on the sides but this is normal, expected and healthy for the fish.:profile:

I guess you have to ask yourself this, what is more important? The look that you want for the pond, or your Koi's well being. If looks is more important than your Koi's health, then take out the Koi and have a fountain.:banana:

For those who want a clear pond and heathy Koi, I suggest you search this Forum for the many posts that are here on this subject. You can start with bio or skippy filters, circulation, anerobic bacteria and so on.

Reaction score
Hey Silken,
My first few years ponding, I hated the green algae on the sides of my pond! I tried many different chemicals and endless amounts of time, energy and $$$$ trying to fix this "problem". Then I joined this forum, read what they had to say, and decided to leave it be. My fish are way happier and healthier! My plants seem healthier and I have way more time, energy and $$$$ to spend enjoying my pond!!!! :grumble:

P.S. The green doesn't bother me at all anymore!

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
"Half-life of a quantity whose value decreases with time is the interval required for the quantity to decay to half its initial value."

Think of all those chemicals as "drugs for the pond". They all have an unkown to you, half-life. If you add more than one concoction of chemicals you now have a coctail of drugs in your pond. The interaction to your fish may or may not be evident until it is too late.

Lets suppose your fish get sick. Your first reaction might be to add medications. After all chemicals are already your friend right? Now your coctail of pond chemicals (which might be the problem with your fish to begin with) is mixing with medications. Do you see where this is going???

I am not a tree hugger and I do believe in better science through chemistry, but I also believe that natural methods have kept fish alive for millions of years. Our job as ponders is to work towards making our ponds emulate what mother nature has done by creating the best possible environment for them. This is done by efficient Bio filters, good circulation, keeping debries from rotting in the bottom by netting them out. Keeping a balance of plants, and doing periodical water exchanges by removing water from the bottom.:grumble:

I said it before, if you don't want algae, then you shouldn't have fish. Make a fountain and put all the chemicals you want in it. Just keep children away.

Reaction score
I agree with Dr. Dave. Before I added a UV filter, I tried adding chemicals. I'm lucky I didn't kill my koi, but I sure killed a lot of mosquito fish. I then tried pond dye but didn't like the artificial color of the water. The pond dye eventually broke down and dissipated. After installing a UV filter, I switched over to fresh water snails. The water is now crystal clear and while the sides of the pond aren't entirely clear of algae, I have since realized that some algae is simply a part of life.

A living pond is a vibrant ecosystem. If you want an algae free pond, you might as well turn the pond into a swimming pool that's absolutely sterile.

A certain amount of algae is important to your pond. Algae provides oxygen. It also produces chelating agents that reduce water hardness.

Ask a Question