Algae Problem

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi,
I recently moved to a house with a pond. the pond is about 4 feet deep, 10 feet long and 4 feet wide. I have a Pontec filter and Laguna pump that run well. There is no uv light though. There are nearly 25 Koi fish ( 20 of them are only 1 year old). Since I moved in, the pond has been a dark green. You can't see more than a foot deep. I took a jar of water from the pond and it looks clear. I'm wondering why the water appears green but a sample from the top would be clear. I haven't had a problem with string algae but there is quite a bit of muck at the bottom of the pond. Would using a pond vac clear up the water? I'd really like to be able to enjoy the fish one day without the water being so green.
Thanks for any help!
Caitlyn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Hi and welcome

Cleaning the muck will be a big help. You may not need a pond vac but at least start with a net to scoop the big stuff out. Full sun can cause the green water also, if your in full sun, plants on the surface will help this. It sounds like you have 1200 gallons or less if it is not truly 4ft. Your fish load will be extremely high with that many Koi, you did not mention the size of the other 5. 5 full grown Koi could be too big for your pond, you will need a very good system so you do not end up will water quality issues. In my own pond I need UV lights for a couple of weeks in the spring due to the full sun, no plant growth etc. This clears it up and then I can shut them down. It would help others too if you give details on pump size, filter size etc. I do use a pond vac on mine a couple times of year and it works very good, if you go that direction.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Actually if they are koi they don't mind that kind of water as long as it tests OK .You will need a water test kit and if you want a uv and want to save money go on ebay to top dog seller he sells the 18 watt for under 40 dollars and it is the turbo twist .I have it .By the way welcome to the sight

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I would clear the muck like @sissy said - start there and see what happens. One step at a time when you're working with your pond. The fish don't mind if the water isn't crystal clear, as long as the quality is good. Doing too much at once can create other problems, so take your time.

Do consider cutting down on your fish load - maybe not now, but as those fish get bigger (and koi grow FAST) you will find yourself with a water quality issue with 20 plus koi in a 1200 gallon pond.

We love pictures - can you post some pictures of your pond?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Also you may have to look at your feeding habits .We are the ones who want the clear water .Not sure where you live and what your temps are and what your water temps are and how much sun your pond gets and are there leaves in your pond .It would really help alot like said to know size of filter and size of pump and do you or have you ever added bacteria to the pond

Ask a Question