Algae question

Reaction score
Country
United States
20170712_193338.jpg
The questions.. 1)What kind of algae is this? 2) is it dangerous? 3) how do I get rid of it? The pictures are taken close by the waterfall which creates bubbles. I have attached three pictures.

If anyone wants the details about my pond...

As of today,
20170712_193347.jpg
v
20170712_193407.jpg

Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0
pH 8.2

Pond is around 40 ft x60 but it's now about a foot low making it around 35x55 ft due to dry season

Started this summer. Pea gravel covers the liner, have both under gravel filters and a sand filter. A waterfall and 75 ft of soaker hose buried under pea gravel with plants in the gravel take the water back to the pond. A few Lilly pads, cat tails, and and water lily's are in the water. It is teeming with life - a couple dozen bullfrog tadpoles, salamanders, frogs, water beetles, dragonflies, damsel flies and about 20-30 goldfish, and people who jump in to cool off. Only source of water is from rain via gutters and wate
20170712_193338.jpg
r we haul in.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Based on the photos that were posted you apparently have more than one type of algae. This is normal and desired as diversity of life is the key to aquatic stability.
Photo #3 looks like blanket weed and could become a problem. Manual removal of this type of algae is recommended.
I am a little curious about what kind of flow rate this pond has. Soaker hose will only accommodate a low flow.which may not be sufficient for this pond.
Also, what is the average depth of this pond?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome!
The algae you are seeing is not dangerous and you do not want to get rid of it.
Read this article from one of our members, @Meyer Jordan about what you are looking at.
https://www.gardenpondforum.com/articles/periphyton-part-1.9/

It would be interesting to see a picture of your whole pond.

Thank you for the good news. I read the article and wow, that's so amazing to think that this gross lining stuff is a healthy biosphere providing life and balance to my pond. I tried to get good pictures of my pond but, Alas, since it's still in its infancy stage, it's pretty ugly - lots of liner showing, not very many plants, waterfall is just a pipe spring out water, and such. But, here are some pictures. :)
Welcome!
The algae you are seeing is not dangerous and you do not want to get rid of it.
Read this article from one of our members, @Meyer Jordan about what you are looking at.
https://www.gardenpondforum.com/articles/periphyton-part-1.9/

It would be interesting to see a picture of your whole pond.

Thank you. It's good to know its safe and normal. :) I will post pictures here in a bit.

Reaction score
Country
United States
... And thank you for that article. I just love how ponds are such amazing biosphere of life. Who would ever guess that this slimy goo was so vital to pond life. :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Based on the photos that were posted you apparently have more than one type of algae. This is normal and desired as diversity of life is the key to aquatic stability.
Photo #3 looks like blanket weed and could become a problem. Manual removal of this type of algae is recommended.
I am a little curious about what kind of flow rate this pond has. Soaker hose will only accommodate a low flow.which may not be sufficient for this pond.
Also, what is the average depth of this pond?
I just checked my pump and it says 70 gpm.

most of the water returns back to the pond via a two inch pipe (future awesome waterfall) and a small part, as much as the soaker hose can tolerate, returns via the soaker hose and pea gravel with plants. I have valves in the piping to control water flow to the soaker hose.

The deepest part is three feet when the pond is full. Since we rely solely on rain right now the pond is very low so it's probably only 2 1/2 feet deep.

I also have a spillway that dumped water into a second, small pond. It was working great at removing surface debris. That is, it worked great until I lost too much water :( I had a Geyser pump submerged in gravel in this small pond and it returned "clean" water back to the big pond.

I'll get pictures posted in a minute. It's still a work in progress and needs SO MUCH MORE work done on it. But, in these hot days, I really don't mind. :) gives me an excuse to cool off.

Reaction score
Country
United States
View attachment 101998
Yes, would love to see entire pond pics.
OK here are pictures. Wish I could show you all pictures of a really cool pond, but, Alas liner and plumbing is still exposed, so much more landscaping is needed, and my plants, well, they're more like a continuous experiment. Learning what works and what doesn't. But, here it is. But, we love it.

Attachments

• 20170713_065737.jpg
    576.4 KB · Views: 216

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Nice size pond. So much to work with. You got the hard part done. Landscaping is the fun part. You will have to post pictures of your progress!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
A 54,000 gallon pond with a 4200 gph pump and a pea gravel substrate.
Sooner or later you're going to run into nuisance algae problems unless you have a maintenance routine in mind that will deal with detritus buildup.
You mentioned an under gravel filter - can you describe it's construction and layout plus what is the depth of the pea gravel?

Reaction score
Country
United States
A 54,000 gallon pond with a 4200 gph pump and a pea gravel substrate.
Sooner or later you're going to run into nuisance algae problems unless you have a maintenance routine in mind that will deal with detritus buildup.
You mentioned an under gravel filter - can you describe it's construction and layout plus what is the depth of the pea gravel?
Oh dear! Don't want that. My under gravel filter is actually two filter systems. The first under gravel system is composed of 4 - 30ft perforated pipes and two 14 ft perforated pipes. These are three inch pipe with 1/4 inch holes every 6 inches. They are buried in river rock, maybe 3/4 inch round (don't remember the exact size). Then, air stones are set at an elbow(1/4 I have around 150 ft of 3 inch pipe with 1/4 inch holes every six inches. That

Ask a Question