Algae, Scum, and Crud on my Pondless Waterfall

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a pondless waterfall in the backyard.. not too big but I can post pics if needed. I have neglected it a bit due to ongoing deployments and never being home, but there is a ton of algae and scum that has grown over the last 2 years. I got most of it off, but some of the large rocks have an almost black color to it. it's not slimey bu looks like mildew. I tried pressure washing and the pressure washer is actually breaking up the rock and blasting off chucks. Is there an easier way to clean this?

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
Welcome home freakin. Twenty year retired vet myself.

Do you fish and plants? If so you move into a whole different realm of cleaning.
Instead of a power washer use a fish and plant safe organic cleaner. You most probably will have to do some brushing. Then rise as directed. Others will probably give you better advice.

If no fish or plants I recommend Mold Armor. THIS CAN ONLY BE USED if you have a water feature. After using per instructions rinse, rinse, rinse. Here's a link http://t.homedepot.com/p/Mold-Armor-56-oz-House-Wash-Hose-End-Sprayer-FG511/100625157

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Turn off everything on a sunny day and get a couple of bottles of peroxide ,just be careful of plants wait a half hour and turn pump back on and watch it float away

Reaction score
Country
United States
No fish or plants on the water feature... so whatever is easiest and will just melt the algae.. I'll take some pics today and post..

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
peroxide is cheap and I use it in my pond with fish and plants .Yours may take more than 1 time .My waterfall pond

Attachments

• pond 11-4- 2014 004.JPG
    pond 11-4- 2014 004.JPG
    200.2 KB · Views: 1,172
  • pond 024.JPG
    pond 024.JPG
    218.5 KB · Views: 1,155
Reaction score
Country
United States
I'll give that a try today.. thanks!... so just dump the bottles in the rocks when its of... then turn it on? How long does it take typically? Or do you mean drench the rocks and soiled stuff with peroxide?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You have to make sure it comes in contact with every part of the messy part .I leave it on a sunny day for half an hour sometimes .For 88 cents a bottle at walmart it is a cheap fix and if really dirty it may take more than one time .The bottles have a squirt bottle top .The longer you leave it on a sunny day the better .I have seen people that have now put filters and the top of there pondless features that are large vases and stuff filled with lava rock

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Sounds like Sandstone was used in the construction of your Pondless. Bleach may or may not work in returning the rock to its original color. The bacteria that have colonized the rock along with the algae appears to have acid-etched the rock and began to degrade it. This is why it is coming off in chunks , as you say. The peroxide will work on removing the algae, but only a strong disinfectant will put a dent in the underlying biofilm.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sounds like Sandstone was used in the construction of your Pondless. Bleach may or may not work in returning the rock to its original color. The bacteria that have colonized the rock along with the algae appears to have acid-etched the rock and began to degrade it. This is why it is coming off in chunks , as you say. The peroxide will work on removing the algae, but only a strong disinfectant will put a dent in the underlying biofilm.

What kind of disinfectant and how do I apply it?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Use bleach full-strength after the algae has been removed and the rock is dry. It may take more than one application or, depending on the rock, may not have much of an effect. Acid stain is hard to reverse.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We use sodium percarbonate on our waterfall. It's a powder which is used in many applications, including laundry soap. It breaks down into hydrogen peroxide and soda ash. I turn off the waterfall and as soon as the water stops flowing but the rocks are still wet I sprinkle it all over the algae and let it sit for 20-30 minutes - a sunny day is best. I don't ever scrub the rocks, but you could if you wanted to after you start the water fall back up again. Our rocks look as good as new within 24 hours. We've never had a problem with either our fish or plants when using this, but since you have neither you have no concern either way.

This is a product that is sold in pond supply stores as a waterfall cleaner. It's way cheaper to buy from soap making supply companies - I buy it 20 lbs at a time and it lasts me for several years.

Post a picture if you can - I love pondless waterfalls! Ours was our first "dip" into the water gardening hobby!

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Algae can be frustrating especially when they make your pond mushy and uncomfortable. I have a swimming pool in my place and it's the same scenario as the pond. Algae growth is irritating. Scrubbing them followed by chemical treatments might help clean the scum .

Last edited by a moderator:

Ask a Question