algae/sludge in pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm not exactly new but am starting my pond over again. My questions revolve around the benefits of having a layer of algae/sludge in the pond.

1) The sides of my pond are vertical to create a plant shelf. I do not have rocks on these sides, they are exposed liner. My water level is always above the liner edge and capped with a 3 inch block, which has a second rock over that. I am wondering if allowing the algae to grow along the liner will help protect it from UV deterioration or if the water filters/blocks the UV rays and deterioration isn't really a worry.

2) In the pond is a layer of what I call algae. It settles along the horizontal surfaces (plant ledge, bottom of pond, shallows). If I use a net and scoop the area the algae breaks up and filters out through the netting so it is a very fine particulate. I have noticed this same particulate also tends to cling to the longer strands of algae that grow closer to the surface of the water, the hoses and electrical cords. Again, when disturbed, it separates and floats elsewhere to settle again.
I am wondering if I should leave this in the pond, if it's beneficial to the overall pond health and the fish, or if I should vacuum it out?
I have a pond vac that I can use to remove this particular stuff in the pond but not sure if I should. Or if I should but leave some in. Is there some amount of this that should always be in the pond? It's not very pretty and I hate the way it looks layering the rocks and gravel in the shallows but I'll live with it if it's useful and important.

Thanks.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Algae growing on submerged surfaces is beneficial and quite important to the biological balance of your pond. It should not be removed.
The fine particulate matter that you refer to is basically detritus, organic and non-organic material that is deposited in your pond by wind action, birds etc. and by the fish (uneaten food and poop). A certain level of sediment is expected and does have its benefits, but when allowed to over-accumulate (inches) it becomes a haven for pathogenic substances and organisms.
Periodic vacuuming would be recommended.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Perfect, what I needed to know. I have a spare stock tank so I can vac into that to remove unwanted matter, then can put the healthy water back into the pond. We're on city water and I try to limit the addition of water from the hose.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
feed the fish less and they will eat it up like piggies ,I only feed my fish 3 or 4times a week

Reaction score
Country
United States
feed the fish less and they will eat it up like piggies ,I only feed my fish 3 or 4times a week
The algae isn't from food. The pond's been empty for months. I'm guessing it's mostly free floating algae with some plant matter blown in. It sat empty with water, no fish or plants. I've got the UV killing algae also so my guess is just that it's stuff settling out. If I can find my camera I'll upload a pic.

Ask a Question