Algae turning white, fish listing sideways

Reaction score
Hi I woke up this morning to find one of my koi listing sideways. Algae and water hyacinth have turned a whitish color and we are wondering if acorns dropping into the pond have changed the chemical balance of our pond.

Reaction score
Hi and welcome! I had a few dozen acorns fall in my pond and nothing like that. You didn't get peroxide in your pond did you? Or roundup?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
You havent had a power out overnight or anything like that have you , or anything that would cause a dieback of your pond such as a sudden but large drop in temperature ?
What are your water perameters at this moment in time , be perpared to do large waterchanges if your perameters dont match what theare ordinarally

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Agreed Sissy spead is of the eessence here as you may start to loose fish otherwise

rgrds

Daw

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
get a pool net also and get the litter off the bottom and remember windy days can carry chemicals neighbors spray .Do you put salt in your pond or could there have been runoff from rain .Agree Dave water changes and do you have city water or well water .You should also test your water from them once in awhile you can buy kits to test in home depot and lowes .

Reaction score
I'll echo what gardengimp said...algae and water hyacinth turning a whitish color in a short time, like a day, to me is the sign of a chemical like peroxide, chorline, copper. When algae and water hyacinth die back by natural causes the color change is slower and it goes thru browns and greys. White is the color bleached out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Acorns won't do much of anything, sounds like a shot of something worse was added to the water supply, could the water company have flushed the pipes, or someone sprayed herbicide on the lawn or weeds...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I'll echo what gardengimp said...algae and water hyacinth turning a whitish color in a short time, like a day, to me is the sign of a chemical like peroxide, chorline, copper. When algae and water hyacinth die back by natural causes the color change is slower and it goes thru browns and greys. White is the color bleached out.

I agree with waterbug on this so the next logical question is have you used peroxide in the pond of late or done a major water change without treating the water for chorine.
Have any of your neighours used anything that you think could have done this on their plants
Have you treated your pond for any thing and perhaps O/D'd the pond with treatment ? .
One more thing do you know if any kids may have attacked your pond for a laugh ( it might sound a little outlandiish) but this is exactly what happened to a pond in the UK recently mortifying the pond owner and killing 30 koi some older than my own two 26 year olds
What were your readings when you tested the water?
The only other thing I can think of have you had anyextremely cold weather of late , I think that just about covers everything ?

rgrds

Dave

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Yes, I have heard of kids here in town too, doing terrible things to people's ponds... I make it a point to get to know the children here and give lots of candy at Halloween, and icecream bars in summer, to the neighbor kids.... just to keep on their "good side", and let them feed my fish when I am home. It does help to be nice to the neighbor kids, as I also have lots of expensive "garden stuff" out front, and nobody every takes anything. The kids come to walk by and look at the fish pond and stop to talk with me, and I am VERY nice .... never hurts to "bribe" the children!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Yes same here we bribe the little buggers at halloween and give the paperboy a few pounds at Christmas however the kids round here are all of the good variety the last time we had bad kids ( from another estate Val and I raised a possee of 36 people to march on the monthly pact meeting with the police ( where neighbours and the Police liason to rid places of problems like this) since then weve had no more hassle from them or their drunken drug fueled ways ( such a shame to see a generation of kids ruining their lives before they are uld enough to understand what in reality they are doing to their bodies and minds).

rgrds

Dave

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Yes, some scary people were in our neighborhood 8 years ago and they were very ScAry! There was no bribing or being nice to them, thank goodness I had three very large dogs. Then they did not stay long, they must have never paid the rent. Now I only got two large dogs, and they make me feel safe when I am alone. There sure are lots of scary people out there these days....

Ask a Question