Algae - what (if anything) should I do?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
Canada
Location is Toronto, Ontario.

We just had a small waterfall and pond installed. So far we put four goldfish in the pond and after a week at least three of them are still alive. The pond has seen algae grow on the walls and there is also algae on the waterfall where the water runs.

We plan to put some plants in the pond next year but given the fact that winter is almost here we didn't bother for this year.

The pond does have a filter with a UV unit. I have not yet backwashed it since the pond has only been filled for a couple of weeks.

Should I do anything about the algae? Or wait until the spring? In a month or so the pumps and filter will come out and will be replaced with a bubbler. This fall has been extremely warm - the water temp is probably in the mid 60s but the warm weather is ending so the temperature will be dropping soon.
IMG_1187.JPG
IMG_1188.JPG

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
like we have said before it is there to help water quality .I would remove some of by hand and the rest leave because it is probably the only thing keeping the fish you have left alive .You need a water test kit .Once the temp drops you may loose algae but you may loose fish with it .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
Canada
What sort of test kit do I need? I have a full-on pool test kit that does pH, FC, CYA, CH, TA and salinity but from what I am reading there is a different sort required for ponds.

Why do you say the algae is all that is keeping the fish alive? We have fed them a bit as well, but not too much as we don't want that to screw up the water.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You need a pond test kit like API kit .It does all the tests and is around 30 dollars + here.THe algae feeds off all the bad nutrients your fish produce from respiration and pooping .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yep that is it and please do not over feed your fish they will eat the algae also and that will help them stay alive

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
Canada
One more thing - we have an autofill on the pond. Do you have to worry about a bit of chlorine getting in from that or will it be such a small concentration that it doesn't water. Or do you use a chemical to dechlorinate? Before adding fish we had the pond and waterfall running for several days so I presume most of the chlorine would have evaporated.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
do you know how much water goes in from it .I use a water meter when I had my auto refill ,but i have well water .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
do you know how many gallons the pond is and have you considered winter .If the pond is small it could get an ice cover that will kill off the fish .I use an aerator under my pond heater here but we get very mild winters .For smaller ponds you can use the pond thing a lot use on here .Some one can chime in because I forget what it is called .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
Canada
I have a bubbler that I will put in around December 1 that should keep ice from building up. I will run this whenever the temp gets down to 0C - I have a home automation system so I can turn on the power outlet with temperature logic. It looks like this:

Aquascape-4-Outlet-Pond-Aerator.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Remember that needs to be protected from weather but it needs air to get to it .The deicer a few use on here is the pond breather .I have not used it .You don't want to make your water really colder than it will be

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
It's that time of the year where we should reduce our feedings a lot. I'm now hand feeding mine when I remember. They wont die... they'll eat algae if you forget to feed them.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum!

Watch how much you bubble the water, a friend here, lost every fish in his pond by using to much air. Super chilled the water. He had a big pond also.

I use a pond breather, this one is a bit pricey, I spent around 59 for mine, a few years back. They do work well.

https://www.amazon.com/8PB-Breather-Heated-Aerator-Watts/dp/B000HHM9U0

Ask a Question