algae

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I have a 350 gallon fish pond & until this year has not had much algae.I just recently changed the lamp on my UV filter.This does not seem to have made any difference .Have tried all the "pond clear" types of stuff.There are a few fish in there does not seem to bother them,but looks so bad .I keep cleaning out the pump.does anyone have any new suggestions? thank you

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Welcome, carrottop.
The obvious answer is that you have more nutrients than your filtration can handle, so algae is growing as a result,
We need a lot more information about your setup before we can offer any helpful suggestions.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome @carrottop ! We can help - just fill us in on what your pond set up is: filtration? Aeration? Type and size fish? Do you feed them? And pictures help a lot!

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Welcome @carrottop ! We can help - just fill us in on what your pond set up is: filtration? Aeration? Type and size fish? Do you feed them? And pictures help a lot!
I have a filter system with a UV lamp .fish are about 4 inches long .I don't feed them during the summer months ,they seem to just feed ff the plant roots .It is a small pond & now the algae is stringy .I can scoop it out but water is greenish

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Well, like @MitchM said - in simple terms, algae overgrowth means too many nutrients in the water. In your case it sounds like too many fish and not enough filtration. You say the fish are small, but do you have 2 of them or 200? It makes a difference. UV won't help with string algae. And what kind of filter do you have specifically?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Well, like @MitchM said - in simple terms, algae overgrowth means too many nutrients in the water. In your case it sounds like too many fish and not enough filtration. You say the fish are small, but do you have 2 of them or 200? It makes a difference. UV won't help with string algae. And what kind of filter do you have specifically?
I have a power clear UV steriliser hooked up to my pump .It is only a 350 gallon pond with 5 fish in it

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I have a few hyacinth plants .that's it ! It just dosen't seem to do anything running through the filter

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
I was fine, until I fed my lilys, now I have some "pond scum" floating. And it stops up the skimmer daily.
I'll not be feeding the lilys again until the floating algae is under control.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I was fine, until I fed my lilys, now I have some "pond scum" floating. And it stops up the skimmer daily.
I'll not be feeding the lilys again until the floating algae is under control.
I don't feed my plants ..but the water is murky & has algae

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
What do you have for mechanical filtration?? I've still only heard you mention a pump and a UV sterilizer. The UV sterilizer will kill the algae but you need mechanical filtration to filter it out once it dies and starts clumping together.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I have a screen over my pump plus the uv lamp.That's all I've ever used.It's more the green water than string algae

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
You're definitely going to need some kind of mechanical filter to filter out the algae after it's been killed by the UV otherwise it's just gonna float around and decompose and create more nutrients for further algae blooms. This could be an external filter or a pre-filter depending on your goals and plumbing setup.

Ask a Question