Algae

Reaction score
Country
United States
I posted about how well my bog garden was working. But it's rained alot lately and now the pond has thick green algae!!!!!! It's like pea soup

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Two thoughts - are you getting runoff due to the rain? Any chance there's any dirt being washed in, or soil from a garden or nearby lawn?

Second- how big is your pond? How many fish? Anything else that you changed in the pond, other than the bog?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
That's strange.
Is it possible fertilizer has washed into the pond from the heavy rains? I believe algae can thrive on the extra nutrients from the fertilizer.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks the pond doesn't get ground water just rain. It's 12x14 I think.. almost 3 ft deep. I left dirt on the plants around the edges of the bog with pea gravel on it. I've got canna, black elephant ear, obedient plant , 2 water irises. And a pickerel plant . There's 14 goldfish. Biggest is 9 inches. The bog is 3x4 12 inches deep. Im also using a 5 gal bucket with plants at the end of the pond

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Couple things, your pond is still maturing since you cleaned it out a few months ago. It is like starting over with a new pond, so it is typical in the first year to battle green water.

When adding plants to the bog clean all the dirt off the plant roots as best you can. You want the plants pulling nutrients from the water.

While the plants you chose for the bog are fine, they all take a bit to get going. Add some quicker growing plants like water cress, water celery, water forgetmenot, even creeping Jenny, all these grow like crazy , quickly and are easy to weed out as they take over. This will Starve out the various forms of algae quicker.

Ask a Question