Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1645901778440.gif
@Marietta Ray
Yes it is! Reach in, pull it out w/a clean long handled toilet brush and put lots of plants in your pond to compete w/the algae. Algae love excess nutrients and so do pond plants....................rather have the pond plants. Algae won't hurt the fish tho. Too much makes it look bad to us tho.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you very much J.W. On my way to Home Depot to get that toilet brush and to check out what plants I can get.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum. The more plants you have the less algae. I filter with only plants and have no issues with string algae.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

You can mulch your garden bed with the algae and other organic waste you remove from your pond.

All aquatic plants will compete with the algae for the dissolved nutrients in the water, and floating plants that cover the surface will also reduce subsurface light, thereby shading the algae out too.

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Welcome! I agree with all the advice given above.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
be careful not to squeeze the algae as when you do you release spores into the water. seeding the next generation. it will come back again until you find a balance in your pond

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
more aeration and water movement stops algae . I have my pumps not only running water to 2 filters but putting water out to spitters and down to pvc and abs pipe on the bottom of the pond with holes drilled in it . . Only get a little green water in the spring . Even aerators do not do as good a job as my spitters and filters and underwater set up . WATER MOVEMENT

Reaction score
Country
United States
It certainly helps. Of course, goldfish, koi, and other common pond fish do eat algae as part of their diet.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Crazy question but I'll ask anyway....what about adding some algae eater fish to the pond....no good?
Depends on your climate. They won’t survive lower water temps, so you’d have to remove them in winter when it gets colder. Just remember, though, that any fish you ADD to the pond are also going to add to the bio load.

Ask a Question