Algaecide overdose! Help!!

Reaction score
My husband accidentally put a double dose of PondCare algaefix in our pond. I did a 75% water change within 15 min. put new water in with dechlorinator/stress coat. There is a waterfall and airstone....any more suggestions? How bad is this? Im freaking out that I will lose my fish!!! Please help

hewhoisatpeace

Evil Genius
Reaction score
Algaefix is a pretty weak concentration. 75% water change probably stressed them more than the algaefix did. How big is the pond? How old are your fish?

They should be fine. Don't yell at your husband too much. We try to do the right thing, but we're still just guys. ;-D

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
hewhoisatpeace said:
Don't yell at your husband too much. We try to do the right thing, but we're still just guys. ;-D

roflmao.....................love that hewhoisatpeace!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Over dose of algaefix is not good. It has killed fish.
You did good with your water change.

Reaction score
My pond is only 550 gallons and I am not sure how old the fish are. Size wise they are 8 inch to 10 inch I would say. They seem to be doing ok form what I can tell. It has been almost 24 hours since the mistake. They came up and begged for food like they usually do and are swimming around. Not hanging out under the waterfall, not gasping to air..etc. Hopefully I am in the clear. If anyone thinks of any further steps I should take please let me know. P.S. to hewhoisatpeace-- I did not yell at m husband LOL!

hewhoisatpeace

Evil Genius
Reaction score
Well, that's good, anyway. Some husbands are worth more than koi, right?

Biggest problem I know of with OD of algaefix in the heat is lowering the warm water's already challenged ability to dissolve oxygen. You did great with the airstone, I'm sure it helped a lot. I'd be surprised if you had future problems from this.

That's one way to remove algae, change the water out. Works for me :lol:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Glad your hubby survived this incident........they are worth keeping around. Really hard to train a new one.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Train them? Really Addy? Had mine for 30 years and I won't let him even feed the fish! BTW- suirgery went well, 6 weeks of not usingg the arm & 6 weeks of therapy and he should be good as new. By then I will need the therapy!

Ask a Question