Algaecide

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I decided to go against my judgement and try one (lower than recommended) dose of algaecide for my pond and immediately read about how lethal and harmful it is. I have since purchased a UV filtration system for my 125 gal pond and want to know if there is a safe and effective way to get rid of the algaecide already in the pond? (Side note: as stated it was a low dose and none of the algae even budged. Fish and amphibians are doing just fine)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I used to use Algaefix, the fish would come to the surface (obviously searching for oxygen) for a few hours after I dosed the pond, and then they'd go back to their normal behavior so I assume in a day or two the Algaefix would lose it's effect.
I stopped using algicide, now I add plants instead, as many as I can fit, and watch how much I feed my fish until the pond cycle, my plants have never been so beautiful and healthy since I stopped using chemicals to control algae

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
I completely agree with Gemma. Algae is a natural part of any pond. Algae only grows if it has nutrients to feed on. Your algicide will kill the algae, which will then rot on the bottom of the pond and add more nutrients to the pond. The U.V. will do the same thing. Plants and beneficial bacteria will lower the nutrient load in your pond. The best place for beneficial bacteria to grow is in a bog.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
Interesting about algae. My pond tests are as follows: Nitrate-0, Nitrite-0, PH between 6.8 and 9.0 depending on time of day, Ammonia-0, Phosphate-0. Algae clumps floating on surface, and just started "green water" bloom, was crystal clear a day or so ago. So near as I can tell, there are zero nutrients in the water, yet algae has jumped right up and doing fine.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Interesting about algae. My pond tests are as follows: Nitrate-0, Nitrite-0, PH between 6.8 and 9.0 depending on time of day, Ammonia-0, Phosphate-0. Algae clumps floating on surface, and just started "green water" bloom, was crystal clear a day or so ago. So near as I can tell, there are zero nutrients in the water, yet algae has jumped right up and doing fine.
You have a pH range between 6.8 and 9? Hope that’s a misprint.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
ph should not go up or down that much stabilize it with crushed oyster shells from tractor supply or even some walmarts sell it in the pet department

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
@Bluerooster

You are getting 0 readings for your water tests because the various algae forms are consuming it. The nutrients are being produced if they weren’t there wouldn’t be algae.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
You have a pH range between 6.8 and 9? Hope that’s a misprint.
It's crazy, but check it in am, it's ~6.8, check it evening, it's 9. I dunno. Don't want to get too drastic with chasing it all over the place. Every day for the past week, for an average of 7.9.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
@Bluerooster

You are getting 0 readings for your water tests because the various algae forms are consuming it. The nutrients are being produced if they weren’t there wouldn’t be algae.
One would think that. But get the same results when the water is crystal clear. Mabe my test kit is not up to par?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I would suggest a new kit. Or, if all is well, just leave it be. But in general a pH swing that big would cause some issues for your fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
PH has been swinging since the pond was filled last year. Fish don't seem to mind it. I guess I could add a few oyster shells, and see what happens. I think I have a bucket full left over from the chickens.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Could be your test kits are bad, idk. Also, could be something happened in between that time frame to nutrient wise cause the algae bloom. For example, depending on where you are located, once the water temp rises the fish become more active producing more waste, temporarily overwhelming the bio filter.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What is your KH? If that is low, it could explain the pH swings. Or, maybe your kit is old.....is it a liquid kit or strips?

Ask a Question