Algaefix

Reaction score
I have an algae problem that hasn't gone away yet. Lots of string algae and the fish aren't eating it down. Has anyone used API Pondcare Algaefix? Is this a good product to use? http://www.amazon.com/Pondcare-Alga...-Ounce/dp/B000HCKVGE/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Also I don't know the size of my pond.....any suggestions for safely applying the Algaefix if I'm uncertain?

I'd like to get the problem fixed before winterizing the pond.

Reaction score
Algae will still grow in the winter. Sorry to let you down.
You should focus on cleaning the pond out and upgrading your filtration. Check out algae scrubbers, it will assist you but organics should be removed.

Reaction score
Algae will still grow in the winter. Sorry to let you down.
You should focus on cleaning the pond out and upgrading your filtration. Check out algae scrubbers, it will assist you but organics should be removed.
I just meant I'd like to reduce the amount in there so it's reasonable. And we have a pretty large waterfall that runs 8 hours a day. The algae used to come and go but hasn't reduced in a while.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Don't use Algaefix or any other additives. What I would do is first pull all the string algae out that you can and do a water change.

Are you adding any food to the pond? Algae appears in response to something. Algae appears because there is something in the water that makes it multiply and grow. If you remove that something, the algae will stop appearing by itself.

So adding Algaefix or any additives will just be a bandaid on the problem if whatever is causing the algae to multiply is still there.

Reaction score
I would not use it, but if you want to you must follow the directions on the bottle and run your pumps 24/7 if you have live stock. It kills inverts and your problem will be back in a week, I promise.

If you need to find the total volume, measure length width and depth. Not sure on the formula, but it is on dr. Fosters.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You can estimate gallons - there are lots of online pond calculators. You can't use a product that has dosage requirement without knowing the basics of the formula. What about using peroxide - safer and less reliant on exact dosage. You can start with a small amount and add more until you see improvement.

I meant to add - this isn't a product I would use either. Tried it in our pondless waterfall at the correct dosage and it killed off some plants. It did kill the algae though!

Reaction score
Thanks for your responses, all. I called this garden store once and they assured me that fish would eat the string algae, and at one point, they did. Then the water cleared up. Now the problem is back but a little worse.

I'm new to all this bc I just acquired a pond with a home purchase a year ago. I wouldn't have the slightest idea where to start to do a full water change and cleaning. This same store said they'd do it for $350 - is that a good price for it? I may just take them up on that in the spring because I just don't have the time or knowledge.

Or maybe I'll just get rid of the pond and put in a nice hot tub... lol

Algae scrubbers are a thing though? I'll google that and see if I can remove a lot of the string myself!

Thanks again

Reaction score
Sorry to keep asking 100 questions - is 8 hours a day enough to be running the filter? Honestly, we just kept the same schedule the previous owners did...the pond is small, it's not that big.

Would running the pump more help? And does your location factor into this too? I live in New England and humidity is always an issue up here, so I was topping the pond off with water a lot over the summer.

Here are some photos.

photo 2(1).JPG
photo 3(1).JPG

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It's beautiful LittlestWinslow. I am a relative newbie and I don't have fish but what I have read is that while the fish will eat some of the string algae, the best way to get rid of it is with a toilet brush. You swirl the brush and pull it out. If you have fish, running your pump 24/7/365 seems to be the rule rather than the exception for maintaining water movement and helping remove fish waste which contributes to the growth of string algae. I'm sure other veterans will weigh in though. You'll miss the pond if you put in a hot tub, although it looks like you have a bit of grass near the pond that you could add a hot tub, then you'd have the best of both worlds! Welcome and don't worry, I've asked wayyyy more than 100 questions. :D
A few more points, the expert ponders will tell you to check the levels in your pond with a test kit and also what kind of filtration you are currently running before they can help you determine what is causing the string algae since getting rid of it and keeping it gone are 2 different issues.

Last edited:
Reaction score
It's beautiful LittlestWinslow. I am a relative newbie and I don't have fish but what I have read is that while the fish will eat some of the string algae, the best way to get rid of it is with a toilet brush. You swirl the brush and pull it out. If you have fish, running your pump 24/7/365 seems to be the rule rather than the exception for maintaining water movement and helping remove fish waste which contributes to the growth of string algae. I'm sure other veterans will weigh in though. You'll miss the pond if you put in a hot tub, although it looks like you have a bit of grass near the pond that you could add a hot tub, then you'd have the best of both worlds! Welcome and don't worry, I've asked wayyyy more than 100 questions. :D
Thanks =)

I'm thinking I'll definitely extend the filter timer, and I'll buy an extra toilet brush at Target and try to see what i can get rid of sans chemicals.

Thanks!

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Where in New England are you? I lived in New Hampshire for a few years and my hubby is from Mass.
I would also not do a complete water change, you will probably destroy the good bacteria and have to start all over, + from what I understand, you could shock and kill your fish.

Reaction score
Where in New England are you? I lived in New Hampshire for a few years and my hubby is from Mass.
I would also not do a complete water change, you will probably destroy the good bacteria and have to start all over, + from what I understand, you could shock and kill your fish.
I'm in Connecticut, in the New Haven area!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It's possible that adding some plants that feed directly from the water will help [floaters, submerged oxygenators, marginals that are rooted between rocks], but after you get out what algae you can.

Last summer I didn't have much string algae at all. But around this time of the year [or a tad earlier] I started preparing for a pond renovation project which required removing as many plants as I could. I wasn't thinking..... Then, about a month into it, I had string algae EVERY WHERE! Posted about it here, and based on the responses I got, I realized that by removing the plants, I had removed competition for the algae.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Your pump and filter should be running 24/7 except when it gets very cold. I shut them down during the Winter.

You don't need to do a full water change, just a partial, 15% or so every so often. Just do it yourself for free. I started out knowing nothing as well when I bought my current house, people here will help you.

Beautiful pond!

Reaction score
Nice pond. As noted, you should be running your pump 24/7. If your tap ph matches your pond ph closely and the water temps match closely you can feel free to do a large water change.

Ask a Question