Algal Blooms

joesandy1822

Sandy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I have run into so many conflicting opinions on algal blooms, even here on GPF, and I'm not wishing to start a huge debate here. But in case I am missing something OBVIOUS, I am going to take the chance and ask.

What causes algal blooms in a cycled pond when nothing obvious (related to algae anyway) has changed? My pond was perfectly clear 3 days ago after having gone through the pea soup stage of a new pond. Now there is what looks like suspended algae again, and I can't see further than about a foot below the surface. It did rain a little, and I've noticed that after a rain, it sometimes will do this. I do not fertilize the lawn. I have not fertilized the plants. I have not fed the fish more than twice since we filled the pond (6ish weeks ago), and then it was 6 or 7 pellets of floating food since the fish don't know what to do with it yet.

I still have not taken time to test the water's KH. I know my pH usually runs 8.4-8.6. Can a low KH with a high pH cause algal blooms? Or are pH and KH unrelated to algal blooms? This has happened a couple times where the water will be crystal clear one day, and slightly green the next for no apparent reason. It usually takes 3-5 days to clear up again. Of course, I know there IS a reason, I just can't put my finger on anything obvious.

Fish are all doing fine. I noticed a large hunk of string algae yesterday (a first), which I pulled out last night. Then this morning the pond was murky again.

The only thing that changed is that on Friday, we installed 1.5 ton of large cobblestone around the perimeter of the pond. Maybe the dust from the rocks got in the pond? But it looks like suspended algae, not dirt. And around the cobblestone, we put cedar mulch. But NONE of it got into the pond.

Thanks for any insight.

Sandy

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Howdy Sandy,

Honestly, I don't think anybody knows beyond theories and gossip and I think this is why it can be a heated discussion, that is since nobody, including me, really knows much of anything to pinpoint an easy answer that works in our context of an outdoor pond.

Now, there are common best practices implemented to control algae, but these practices do not flat out prevent algae from happening all together. These practices simply just attempts to control the algae by encouraging other species to grow, which might be tougher to see or more pleasing to the eye or helps to reduce the growth of other algae species.

As ya might know already, so sharing for other folk, here is my version on a remedy and prevention program for algae, which requires a multi-facet approach of spot killing, spore eradication, and a healthy pond including plants amongst other variables.

Just so to be clear, when you're saying "algae blooms", I am assuming this referrs to the green pea soup, floating, single cell algae, which seems to be the common slang for this type of algae. Although, in general, I believe KH and pH having nothing to do with algal blooms since there are many many species out there that can survive and thrive in our context of a freshwater outdoor pond. Why do I say this? Welp, nutrients are much more plentiful and plant soluble at lower pHs, which rain does help to lower pH, so I assume this means it would help algae as well. Also, algae is a prehistoric plant so there are species that can exist and thrive in environments with a very minor presence of nutrients, that can not be measured by the tools accessible to a typical hobbyist. When pH is high, within the range in our context, then the algae will simply reduce the small amount of existing bicarbonates as their carbon dioxide resource.

I also believe only particular algae species are experienced in ponds due to the accumulation of algae allelopathic controls. This is one particular argument point of how folk well suggest water changes encourages algae blooms, of various species, due to the dilution of these allelopathic chemicals.

There are even practices of significantly increasing heavy metal concentration residuals in the water, that are toxic to fish when not maintained correctly, involving zinc and copper to suppress algae.

For a more natural control of various algal species, in our context of a freshwater outdoor pond, there is the theory of barley, polymers, and microorganisms. Barley essentially release, depending on who you read, phenols or a diluted hydrogen peroxide compound. Polymers, such as the pond zinger, attempts to a time release of organically created polymers to make particular nutrients insoluble. Microorganisms, such as infusoria, can be cultured, in a jar from a combination of yeast and potatoe & fruit peelings, to feed on the algae spores and algae plant. Now, just as with any natural solution, the effiicacy of these solutions will vary greatly and are very sensitive to environmental conditions. This is another particular argument point of how folk well suggest UV devices encourages algae blooms, of various species, due to killing of microorganisms.

Outside of our context, depending on the owner's objective, algae is a vital component of ecosystems. Dr. Ron Shimek, who is a coral reef enthusiast, gives a good explanation on algae's involvement in this nebulous ecosystem. Coral reef enthusiasts rely quite heavy on culturing particular algae species to create a healthy environment for their aquariums.

Also, the particular algae species it self must be introduced to the water through birds, rain, dirt, wind, rocks, pond plants, fish, you name it. :)

This is why I consider algae as a noxious weed. All you can do is increase residuals in the water so to prevent or control algae.

The ponding, aquarium, or any aquatic hobby would just be too easy and we would get lazy from enjoying the fish too much... that is if we did not have algae in this world. Algae provides good times. :cheerful: Staying positive here. :claphands:

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I apologize for all of the late editing. I just need to keep my message in the "preview" stage for a while before I post. Welp, I tried my best to put all my thoughts into that one post. I'll reply if I can think of more.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Just reminiscing here a bit. Beginners to this hobby sure can learn some bad information, which then is sometimes difficult to "unlearn". ;)

This thread reminded me of another thread I create a little over a year ago. For anyone curious, Does a 7.5pH help control, not stop, string algae? Way to lower pH below 8pH? This thread feels like 10 years old due to everything I have been taught while being involved with my pond and continuing to listen to others. Now, I am doing all sorts of craziness, that back just over a year ago I was convinced not to do. Ugh, I am reading some of these extremely old threads of mine and just shake my head at my self.

It is amazing how folk can have an impression on others and ya don't realize it until ya find that one particular counseler or mentor or teacher or buddy and then look at your self in the past and where you are now and in the future. :beerchug:

joesandy1822

Sandy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I guess maybe some of the "bad" information I've learned is to not feed the fish?

The couple times I've tried, I ended up sitting by the skimmer and scooping it out before it got sucked in because the fish are oblivious as to what it is. They seem very happy eating algae and bugs though.

Thanks for all the good info. I will check out the links and maybe try out some of the ideas. One thing I won't do is UV clarifiers or sterilizers. Just my own personal thing; not knocking anybody who chooses to use them. A good friend of mine has a number of them on his ponds, and his water is always crystal clear. Simpler is better, at least for me.

Sandy

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Oh, in regards to feeding, that's a judgement call.

If the food only ends up in the skimmer, then maybe try something else like a flake or a sinking pellet food. So this way, if they still do not eat it, then it is tougher to scoop out of the water. ;)

To feed... Or... Not to feed... That is the question!! :bdaybiggrin:

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Don't just give up yet on feeding the fish.

I forget, since it is not what I do, that is getting all "foo foo" fancy with fish food. There are many tricks and different manufactured foods and even homemade foods for fish. :fish2:

I know they're in my bookmark library... Here are a few I could find:

A look at alternate foods for your koi and goldfish

A good growth and colour food home made

Duckweed is a big favorite.

Also, I am told you can roll the pellet food in some garlic extract. Apparently, koi go crazy for the taste of garlic so might work for gold fish.

Of course, only feed them when it makes sense to feed them, dependent upon the pond enivronment.

joesandy1822

Sandy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
HTH said:
I was under the impression this was a newish pond with little natural food.
Yes, you are right. In the beginning, I probably should have fed the fish. However, the algae kicked in so quickly that I assumed they had plenty to eat from that point on. They did not go longer than about a week without plenty to eat. People go on vacation longer than that, so I didn't think it would really hurt.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
It could be that the fish are scared to come up with you standing near the pond. If you have a 2nd route for water to get from the pond to the pump turn off the skimmer for an hour or two after you feed and stay maybe 10 feet back from the pond so they can come up and feed.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I KNOW I KNOW .IT IS THE ALGAE FAIRY .Well it could be things blow in your pond and lots of rain also and even visitors to your pond like frogs .Darn frog fairies :cheerful: :cheerful: :cheerful:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
geeze HTH your trying to push your self to hard you will give yourself a stroke or heart attack .

Ask a Question