alge...its own forum section..

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i say this in jest, but it may actually be a decent idea. it seems like we get atleast 10 or more alge questions a week.. people just arent reading existing threads before posting the same question thats been answered 5000 times here. not just alge but its likey the worste. when i see another "how do i get rid of green water?" thread started, i just want to tell them to read the 5000 other threads on the same question, you'll get the same 5000 answers!! sorry, i think i just needed to vent!... thanx for a fantastic forum!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
more than that I think koiguy .A little algae is just normal at the start of the season .tadpoles and fish love it .Hold back on the feeding of your fish and it will go bye bye in most cases .I think most panic .

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Don't we have some kind of algae FAQ that the first responder can just link to?

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Yep, that's why, rather than posting a lengthy reply, I will simply just refer to a hyperlink thread that addresses the problem.

Algae is algae is algae is algae. They all pretty much involve the same routine of answers.

Don't be irritated about it. Rather than a wordy reply, I think simply a hyperlink reference works just as good... or... they can simply read my post history. ;)

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
Sadly people don't want a hyperlink where they have to wade through a broad well stated bit of text on the subject. They want answers to their questions. Heck if they were up to reading the material at the link they would read one of the million or so threads already dealing with it on numerous web sites, blogs etc.

Been there and tried that with micro controllers. They want hand holding. And after all isn't that part of what we do so well ?

Back in the days wen mailing lists were new I knew a fellow doing his graduate degree in artificial intelligence. He wrote an AI program to answer common question on "The Goldfish Mailing List". No idea how that came out as I turned the list over to him and politics set in at some point. Go figure.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
After considering there is hundreds and thousands of "passer bys" encountering this forum and others, then only the ocassional same question is asked once a week or every other day or so...

Would a sticky thread or a dedicated forum or specialized program solve this?? Meh, it will likely answer some those handful of questions, but likely will not answer all of the many others they will ask about the specific topic.

Hyperlinks contain the answer to their questions and then some that may likely answer more questions they were about to ask in the future.

I wouldn't consier the majority of information on the Internet to be equal. Otherwise, my research bookmark library would contain more than the couple hundred it already contains, and I gaurantee you I have read many more hyperlinks than what is in my library.

I have learned so much more from the journey through the hyperlinks.

I do understand the aggravation and that is why I don't believe every question posted deserves an answer. Otherwise, it'd just drive a fella crazy trying to answer every question out here. Sometimes, ya just gotta let a question slide.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
I really was not suggesting a program be considered here but rather that it is a old and monotonous problem. Personally I think a combination of a sticky thread and a good introductory post detailing the common problems and answers. Allow the owner of the first post to edit the first post as needed.

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hello
Well we have to take in to account that for the most part these vistors are newbies to the pond and forum world.
And also with that for the most part they either got a house with a pond and no nothing about it and want need info fast.
Another is that it turned spring and want to fix up the yard having no experience went to home depot or lowes and saw the big sign with a pic
complete pond kit just dig a hole put in the liner fill with water and enjoy. this will take the weekend and just enjoy.
they don't tell you the work it will take to keep it nice because 2 weeks later you have a green water hole.

So they come here for (to them) urgent help, Because all they are thinking I need to fix this quick as all my hard work and the fish are going to die.
So they come here and post right away not wanting to search for a answer or waste time they post and more less wait for the answer by the computer.

I know for those who know it can be a pain to read the same question over and over but hey you started there to right.

If they stick around long enough they will learn the hows and whats of a forum and the do's and don't s of a pond well I hope they do any way.

Ruben

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
Is it possible to add a filter to the submit process that would pop up the request for specific information if the OP has algae or maybe green in the title.

Something like this but maybe a bit more friendly

If you are posting about an algae problem we can more rapidly answer your question if you include the following information in this post.
Then the buttons POST and CONTINUE EDITING

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Becky said:
I think perhaps the previous suggestion about prompting members to give more information might help solve this problem, here's the link:

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/topic/11920-posting-water-quality-general-pond-info/

What do you think? Could always add to the list a bit about algae too?
I like it and agree with Mmathis.

Stickys can be extremely helpful, but they will not necessarily reduce the frequency of basic questions being asked.

The problem when being introduced to something foreign like a hobby, language, or the like, are the basics and understanding the basics written in a straightforward manner, without talking down to readers like they are in kindergarten, in a matter of fact manner. The problem solvers needing to know the pond owner's basic information, which all of it is quite basic, leads to better solutions. Although, the treatment solutions to water quality parameter problems and algae problems is always the same with a choice of static options, irrregardless of the owner's pond. Although, I think it is a bit more complicated in choosing filtration since the pond's space and owner's goals then come into the picture.

Regardless of the sticky info, I don't think this will reduce the frequency that we see particular threads still being created, but I do think they still are helpful since I think the problem is the lack of concise and organized info.

Ultimately, the problem is that everyone believes their problem is unique, since this hobby might be quite foreign to them, so this means the author believes their problem requires a unique solution. The only facet I think this actually would be true would be in regards to filtration. Otherwise, the treatment solutions to water quality parameter problems and algae problems is always the same with a choice of static options, irrregardless of the owner's pond, space, and goals.

I garantee the author of a new algae thread will find their answer in a thread on forum page 1 or page 2, due to the very high frequency of these type of threads asked so much. I know, even with a sticky or special Q&A process, they will still want to post their question due to how the poster believe's their particular situation is quite unique, wherein it actually is not. I think it is human nature to act like this when dealing with something foreign since everything actually feels unique to them. This is another reason why I agree so much with what Mmathis has suggested, that is to give the idea to the author of what information to share.

I think most folk actually do read more and find their answers on their own, but, in particular, we are talking about folk that are not like this and simply just want to cut to the chase or just could not find the answer possibly due to the keywords being used during a google search due to simply not knowing what to ask. So, I know, even if there were a sticky or special Q&A process, they will still want to post their question. I don't have a problem with this since I enjoy talking with folk, but this also means that I think a question does not deserve an answer simply due to someone posting a question.

However, generally, I do believe forums could do a better job at better organizing and presenting the information in a concise manner. Also, which I hope I don't get into trouble for saying, I think the moderators of forums are generally just as lazy for not doing this, but, I can somewhat understand them not doing it since it is time consuming just as it is for everyone else to read.

Everyone believes " their " problem is urgent. If their fish die or pond gets filled up with algae, then this absolutely does not indicate their hardwork on the pond has gone down the drain. Sure, it is dissappointing to see, but this dissapointment is often created due to a severe misunderstanding of the hobby, that is everything will just stay pretty and nice. The idea of " every problem is so very urgent that it demands response as soon as possible " is quite silly, unless the owner has bought some GC (grand champion) koi for a few thousand dollars, while them self being quite foreign to the pond hobby.

When doing something that is "new and foreign", it tests our patience and significantly increases apprehension. Don't let angst get the best of ya. Take a few steps back, breathe, grab a beer or a glass of wine, put some peanut butter on the neighbor's dog's nose for a good laugh, and then reapproach to start doing some reading.

Then, if the reader truely does not understand nor what to do, then they should not be afraid to ask questions. There are many helpful folk here so the question will get answered one way or another. There's also nothing wrong with PM's.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
algae is a thing every ponder encounters and there is no magical fix unless they are hiding it from us all .Ponds are work just like a garden in your yard needs weeding and mulch and pruning and watering and fertilizer ,now that's work .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I'll take a look at introducing a sticky tomorrow - time has run away from me so far this week!

Ask a Question