Algea bug finally got me

Reaction score
Country
United States
My pond is roughly 15 months old at this point and well-established. Throughout that time I've experienced some algae on the waterfall Rock but that's it. The past 2 months there has been a huge increase in algae growth everywhere. I enjoy the algae on the liner itself but now it's taking over the bottom and starting to completely cover the pumps and filters.

I know I can't be selective where I want this stuff but considering the fact that I get in the pond every couple months to clean out the filter boxes I would prefer to remove it from the bottom. Anything I could do here?

Attachments

• 20200908_125448.jpg
    20200908_125448.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 121
  • 20200908_125452.jpg
    20200908_125452.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 130
  • 20200908_125502.jpg
    20200908_125502.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 123
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
so ponds need plants. how important are they and what do they do. we dont have any plants. what kinds are good and where would i get them

Reaction score
Country
United States
Will the addition of more plants rid the algea in there now or just help to prevent more algea from growing?

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Will the addition of more plants rid the algea in there now or just help to prevent more algea from growing?

it will do both....You want plants that spread/grow quickly. Water cress, forgetmenot,water celery, creeping Jenny, parrot feather.All these can be wedged between rocks at the ponds edge and will take off from there. Iris, pickerel rush, Canna, taros all are good as well once they get going.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
so ponds need plants. how important are they and what do they do. we dont have any plants. what kinds are good and where would i get them

YES! Eco-ponds need three things: water, fish, and plants. Remove one thing from the equation and the other two will suffer. You wouldn't want a pond without water, right? In this equation, plants help by consuming the nutrients that are present because of the waste produced by the fish. If you don't add plants, nature will, or in this case, algae. Without the algae, your fish would suffer and eventually die.

As to where to get them - nurseries, pond stores, or other pond owners would be the top three suggestions. And there are LOTS of great pond plants - do a google search and you'll find tons of ideas!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I like the 3 different plants I have now because they all survived the cold winter.....I just cant remember what any of them are called lol. I'll have to get more of the same

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
my grandparents have this plant i think is called a water lily. it has these large round leaves that stick up a few inches above the surface of the water and it gets these flowers kind of like the ones in lisaks pfp. i like those ones alot, it is a water lily, right

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Lillies are nice, but not the best plant to compete with algae. Remember, algae is a plant and because you don't have many, if any plants, nature is providing the plants in the form of algae.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
ok we probally wont be able to get plants this year most likley because its gotten so cold so quickley i dont think any would be able to root into the gravel or anything like that. we can probally get one in the middle of march to try and beat the chorus frogs wich around here have the earlyest breeding season of any frog. last year there was still snow when they started calling so... but anyways ill try to get plants in when it gets abit warmer. generaly how much time do pond plants need to root in and get all comfy for the winter

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Early this Spring we had algae covering everything, just like your pictures show. When the plants took hold and started to grow, the algae completely disappeared. Sometimes it's just a matter of time. You'll find that with ponding, patience is important. Things don't happen overnight.

Ask a Question