Algea

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys thanks for the add what's the best thing to get rid of algea in my pond its becoming to the point I cant see anything now

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

Algae is a symptom — it happens when there are more nutrients in the water than your biological filter can process. Some common reasons are too many fish, over-feeding, not enough plants (they compete with the algae), too much sunlight....

Can you tell us a little about your pond, and we’ll try to help you sort it out?
  • How big is your pond?
  • how long has it been up and running?
  • do you have fish — if so, what kind, how many, and how big are they?
  • do you have any plants?
  • what kind of filtration do you have?
  • do you have a water test kit to check for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, pH, KH? (If not, we recommend using a drops type test kit rather than test strips — API Master kit is good, but you have to get the KH test separately)?
  • please test your water and tell us what the numbers are (not “fine” or “good” — we need the numbers)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1593032151650.gif
@Jaycrutch1978

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

Algae is a symptom — it happens when there are more nutrients in the water than your biological filter can process. Some common reasons are too many fish, over-feeding, not enough plants (they compete with the algae), too much sunlight....

Can you tell us a little about your pond, and we’ll try to help you sort it out?
  • How big is your pond?
  • how long has it been up and running?
  • do you have fish — if so, what kind, how many, and how big are they?
  • do you have any plants?
  • what kind of filtration do you have?
  • do you have a water test kit to check for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, pH, KH? (If not, we recommend using a drops type test kit rather than test strips — API Master kit is good, but you have to get the KH test separately)?
  • please test your water and tell us what the numbers are (not “fine” or “good” — we need the numbers)
We have the API master kit and test trips that we use for hardness and alkalinity but it does not have separate KH. The test strip also has ph and nitrite and nitrate but we don't use it for that because we have the Api master kit. Our total alkalinity is usually between 180 and 300 so usually on the high side. Is that an issue? Also our total hardness is about 150-300 ppm so it's pretty hard. Is that an issue? And how do we use the KH number? Should we get a separate KH kit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On the subject of algae , my pond is only 6 weeks old it’s 1500 litres and 7ftx5ft deepest end is 3ft, the bottom of the pond and all the white beach pebbles are covered in a green slime which I guess is algae. How do I prevent this ?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
On the subject of algae , my pond is only 6 weeks old it’s 1500 litres and 7ftx5ft deepest end is 3ft, the bottom of the pond and all the white beach pebbles are covered in a green slime which I guess is algae. How do I prevent this ?
You don’t want to prevent this type of algae. This is good algae. It contributes to the pond’s ecosystem.

@Frankie61 I see this is only your second post. Why not go over to our “introductions” topic and tell is something about your pond and ponding experience. Do you have fish? We love to see pictures of other people’s pond.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You don’t want to prevent this type of algae. This is good algae. It contributes to the pond’s ecosystem.

@Frankie61 I see this is only your second post. Why not go over to our “introductions” topic and tell is something about your pond and ponding experience. Do you have fish? We love to see pictures of other people’s pond.
Yes I certainly will , total novice so lots to learn

Ask a Question