Algeside overdose

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have never used algeside in my pond before and accidentally put 5 times the recommended dose. I lost all the tadpoles a frog and 1 fish.
It's been about 5 days and I haven't seen the other 5 fish. They haven't come up to eat. I was able to catch 3 and put them in different water. 1 of them died
Should I change the water at this point or just let it be? Help !!! I feel aweful about my fish and frogs! Any recommendations would be helpful! This is a disaster!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would change the water, At least 50% not sure if the stuff will go away by itself or not. What kind did you use?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have never used algeside in my pond before and accidentally put 5 times the recommended dose. I lost all the tadpoles a frog and 1 fish.
It's been about 5 days and I haven't seen the other 5 fish. They haven't come up to eat. I was able to catch 3 and put them in different water. 1 of them died
Should I change the water at this point or just let it be? Help !!! I feel aweful about my fish and frogs! Any recommendations would be helpful! This is a disaster!
I would change the water, At least 50% not sure if the stuff will go away by itself or not. What kind did you use?
Should I get the rest of the fish out? I will have to declorinate.

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you can change water with the fish in the pond (less stress for them that way) just add dechlor to pond before adding new water. You may want to do a few water changes just to be sure to remove all of the chemical.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I would leave them in the pond and do the 50 % water change and add dechlorinator. You will probably have to do another large water change, but I'm not sure how to advise you on the timing of it....but I'm thinking no longer than a week, probably sooner. Also adding extra aerations might help, I'm sorry this happened, we've all made pond mistakes.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I killed off my first purchase of fish in my new Maryland pond, found out the hard way our well water is very acidic, poor fish.

Mistakes happen main thing to do is learn from them.

Welcome to our group!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
As everyone says accidents can and do happen, if in the future your a little worried about a treatment you'll find that the staff in the shop you bought the algaecide from will probably be more than happy to help you convert that particular treatment to the correct amount for your pond .
I'm an old school dyed in the wool UK Feet and inchess pints and Imperial gallons sort of a man and as such have difficulty with the metric conversion and even though I have a book of scales etc to convert I'd sooner first ask them then work it out from whatever measurement scales my book says .
That way you know your using the right amounts

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a/5b
I would do a water change/dechlorinator as needed, as others recommended.

I used algaecide this spring too to get rid of the string algae that I just couldn't reach to pull out--it's surprising how extremely potent it is. I used the same brand (TetraPond), and I can totally see how a person would accidentally overdose the pond--if you filled the cap itself instead of the little measuring part on the top, that would be at least triple the amount recommended. The instructions were not the greatest...I had to read them twice before I realized there was a measuring device built into the top of the cap.

Ask a Question