all dead in one day.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone. Went out to my pond Sunday afternoon and all my fish were floating. I had 3 med size goldfish and a small koi. All my water levels were perfect and my fish were healthy and plenty of oxygen. The temp. In Louisiana has been in the high 90's for weeks. I believe the water got to hot as it was in full sun from morning till nite. Pond was only 300 gal and foot and a half deep. I have 3 in pipe at the bottom to swim in but I guess it was not enough. No shade and no plants. I don't even know if I want to try again...sick to my stomach.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Sorry to hear but 300 gallons and in full sun all day is not a good combo .I have seen people ut a patio umbrella out to shade there ponds and you will need a thermometer for the pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sorry to hear but 300 gallons and in full sun all day is not a good combo .I have seen people ut a patio umbrella out to shade there ponds and you will need a thermometer for the pond
Yes I do need a water thermometer. I don't have a clue to the water temp but was warm to the touch and I know these fish are cold water fish.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I know collen has added ice to her pond to cool the temps. down on hotter days

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Darn, you need a shade over the pond. So sorry to hear.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yes I do need a water thermometer. I don't have a clue to the water temp but was warm to the touch and I know these fish are cold water fish.
If I recall, didn't we discuss water temps. in an earlier thread? My 3 ft. pond was just hitting the 90F range at the time, and I was taking measures against the sun & heat. I think your water was in the mid-70's or so at that time. And since we're both in LA....

I'd hate to see you give up, but rather take this as a learning experience. Sissy is right about the water volume and being in full sun all day, esp. in our southern region. Without something to shade the water, it's going to get hot! Maybe look into a shade sail, or even a patio umbrella as Sissy mentioned. And just start out with a few goldfish -- no koi (pond's not big enough) and take it from there.

Reaction score
Country
United States
If I recall, didn't we discuss water temps. in an earlier thread? My 3 ft. pond was just hitting the 90F range at the time, and I was taking measures against the sun & heat. I think your water was in the mid-70's or so at that time. And since we're both in LA....

I'd hate to see you give up, but rather take this as a learning experience. Sissy is right about the water volume and being in full sun all day, esp. in our southern region. Without something to shade the water, it's going to get hot! Maybe look into a shade sail, or even a patio umbrella as Sissy mentioned. And just start out with a few goldfish -- no koi (pond's not big enough) and take it from there.
Going tomorrow to price a few covers for the pond. Never had this problem before but never remember this kind of heat without rain either.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Johnny may I also suggest that you either cover the pond with a net or put something around the boarder to keep fish from jumping out or going over the edge during a rain.

My first preform that we put in wasn't quite finished (no rocks around the boarder) and I had put some fish in the pond because I couldn't wait. During a heavy rain one of the fish got washed up over the edge of the pond and died. I felt really bad as the incident could have been avoided but I didn't think of it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Johnny may I also suggest that you either cover the pond with a net or put something around the boarder to keep fish from jumping out or going over the edge during a rain.

My first preform that we put in wasn't quite finished (no rocks around the boarder) and I had put some fish in the pond because I couldn't wait. During a heavy rain one of the fish got washed up over the edge of the pond and died. I felt really bad as the incident could have been avoided but I didn't think of it.
That's always a good idea. When I know rain is coming is when I go out and back wash the filter and drop the pond a few inches.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Johnny make sure what you put up to shade your pond is white to light grey and not dark in colour white reflects heat darker colours attracts that way you keep the worst of the heat away from the pond .
For example we have a light grey parasol covering our pond and it keeps the water temperature a few degrees cooler than it would have been .
We used the same logic on a friends pond that didnt catch much in the way of sun and instead of white or light grey we used black plastic material it acctually over time helped in warming his pond by a few degrees

Dave

Ask a Question