ALL FISH GONE :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
So last night I was watching the Walking Dead Season Finale with 20min left of it when i walked outside to turn on the Pond Lights, Once on i saw my Big 10'' Goldie Hitting the top of the Water wanting food and the others swimming about as usual. After the Walking Dead was over I went outside to feed the fish and I did not see a one!? I instantly noticed Both of My BIG Goldies (One Common, the other Commet) were gone and I finally saw the 7 Little Ones (around 4'') all under rocks on the side and inside the Pump cage. I used a flashlight and looked all around the outside of the pond For tracks or wet ground where the critter ran off but all dry? My yard is really congested with trees and behind my Yard is Woods for miles and miles so a Crane, Pelican, or any other Big water Bird has NO room to fly back there without hitting branches! I watched all night until 1am and could not see anything comeback for the rest of them so i went to bed. I woke up this morning @7am to all fish gone and no trail of the Massacre, I went to work and was thinking of what it could be, when All of a sudden I remembered the night before last and even at Dusk yesterday I could hear an Owl that i have not heard before! I am now sure it was an Owl as it is big enough to grab fish that size and fly away fast! My friend says it was a coon, but There was no indication of any animal at the site and that Ive also NEVER seen a Raccoon anywhere near my yard or area since its all swamp land not dry woods, Now possums are everywhere but are slow clumsy creatures that i can't see catching my lighting fast commets or at least without getting in the pond to catch them and leaving a soaked trail behind? Anyhow it is a sad day :sad:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Darn that sucks, I have only lost a few fish to mr heron. Think my pond is too deep for a raccoon to get the fish.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
geeze sorry to hear and could the bird have landed on the top of the trees and worked his way down the branches to the pond

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Sorry to hear about that Jason, I know it sucks! Had it happen to me more than once over the years. Lost most of my Koi collection Christmas before last to a Heron and a Owl. I don't know if you realize but light being left on without you being present actually attracts some animals to prey on fish. Owls can see gold fish from quite a distance with under water lights on. That is also the main reason I don't use preform ponds and shallow ponds anymore. What you can do is find someone that can loan you a trail camera and set it up near the pond, Maybe you can get lucky and find out what is getting the fish so you can take precautions before restocking. Good Luck

Reaction score
Oh Jason, I am so sorry. That is such a hor-i-bad feeling to walk out to. I've go the bird netting stretched on 2' foot bamboo poles around my pond now, and I am so much happier with my fish safe and sound. Today I walked out and found a Coopers Hawk in the bird bath. She is welcome to enjoy the bird bath, but happy she can't get to our fish.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have a ton of coopers hawks, never once saw them go for a fish, they love the shallow stream ponds and the frogs they can grab. Except for mr heron I could leave our pond non protected. But mr heron makes that a necessity.

JoaniePA

Joanie
Reaction score
Really sorry to hear it. This winter I had a red tail hawk diving at the fish, hoping to snag one close to the surface. After about five tries he rested on a rock a few minutes and flew off, have't see him since.

Attachments

• Bird_cam-10.25.jpg
    Bird_cam-10.25.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 272
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Thanks yall, I have been watching in the shadows of my up stairs guest bedroom with the window open and a Pellet rifle for any possums or raccoons but I have not seen any yet, If it is an Owl, I can't shoot it (I don't think?) without a hefty fine but I will have build an area the fish can hide more in if this happens again!

Reaction score
Unfirtunately with the smaller ponds, I dont think you will be too successful with just giving the fish better hiding places. You were cleaned out too fast. Other members have posted throughout this site pictures of pvc type frames they have made with netting ... I think you will eventually want to go down that path.

No pun intended, but been watching our pond(s) like a Hawk. In 13 years of living on this property, not once have "our" Redtailed Hawks messed with anything ... this winter, they got two of my chickens ... so we placed the rest til we can make their yard safe... then a couple or three weeks ago, for the first time ever had a bunch of sea gulls on the roof/in the front yard ,,, I'm trying to think of ways to cover our pond(s)....

Reaction score
Oh Jason - I am so sorry. Sounds like you will have to either cover your pond with netting and/or get a sensor sprayer.

I have seen herons in the trees, so it could be a heron. I have also heard where there are night feeding herons. The gentleman at my local ponding store was telling us about them last year.

Best wishes on your next batch of fish.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Sorry Jason and yep sounds like the owl is the culprit and w/ those lights on showing the fish up for him made them easy to grab I guess. We live and learn so now you will have to prevent it from happening again. I think since your pond is small it would prolly be best to use a net cover so no birds can swoop and grab again. Maybe you could put some fake fish in there first to do a test one night to see what comes around but I think the net will work if it's the owl or any other bird.

Ask a Question