All gone...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Blue heron visited today. I noticed too late. All my fish - gone. Only 3 left because it's in my inside tank. I want to cry :cry:

I was going to put up a net. Too late!!! :mad: I'll have I put up a net before I put any new fish in.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Oh no! I'm so sorry :( I think another line of defense is a shade sail, as it obscures their view of your pond.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Very sad and sorry @Nepen If I hadn't put my net up he would have gotten all of mine too. I think once a bird knows it's there a shade sail is too late. They will land and just walk on up to the pond.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Sorry to hear. I haven't lost fish, but I feel the same way when a hawk or fox gets one or more of my hens.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I saw one of my watonai baby and one shubunkin last night. So I might have a few left.

I have a crate for them to hide under but there's nothing else to hide them yet since water lilies still dormant. I'll put up a net as soon as I'm done with the chicken coop and start finding new fish again.

Does decoy like elagator or blue heron work?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Some people find a decoy works to some degree, but these are smart birds. They will quickly find out that the decoy is not a threat. From reading so many experiences of people with heron attacks it seems the only fool proof method is a net. Once they have found you, they won't leave you alone.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Darn Nepen, so sorry about that.

I did fishing line, alligators, fencing, heron statue, none kept the heron away for any length of time. I have videos of the heron circling the pond staring at the gator heads in the water, they moved with the wind. Well the heron decided it was safe and went back to fishing. I had two heads, one at each end of the pond.

The wide weave netting hung about 3 feet over the pond surface finally stopped them. With my pond I just have a bit draping down where the heron could walk up, messing with its natural coiled neck strike. With jw's pond she has that netting plus fencing.

Look into a the wide weave netting that jw and I use, it does not trap anything like frogs small birds, high enough over the pond water that lilies can grow and bloom without being smashed by the net.
@j.w She has a nice thread about it some where here.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Darn Nepen, so sorry about that.

I did fishing line, alligators, fencing, heron statue, none kept the heron away for any length of time. I have videos of the heron circling the pond staring at the gator heads in the water, they moved with the wind. Well the heron decided it was safe and went back to fishing. I had two heads, one at each end of the pond.

The wide weave netting hung about 3 feet over the pond surface finally stopped them. With my pond I just have a bit draping down where the heron could walk up, messing with its natural coiled neck strike. With jw's pond she has that netting plus fencing.

Look into a the wide weave netting that jw and I use, it does not trap anything like frogs small birds, high enough over the pond water that lilies can grow and bloom without being smashed by the net.
@j.w She has a nice thread about it some where here.
How did you string your net? I thought you used fishing line and just tied over the pond, no?

Ask a Question