All that work..

Reaction score
Great news! The water is crystal clear now. I think the problem was that my flow through my biofilter was too fast and the water was not getting "cleaned". I also flushed it several times and ran the fines filter for a week. Here is a video of my happy little guys. I can see the pebbles and such on the bottom. This video is at 2 1/2 feet deep.
The good news is my plants are FLOURISHING now! The roots on my hyancinths are bigger then the plants themselves.

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
After reading this last posting, it made me think about all of the hyacinths that I pulled out my pond because of them over crowding the water lilly pads. It was to a point where I could no longer see the fish, and I had trouble feeding them. I was considering making one of the home made floating feeding rings that was posted at this forum. All of the roots were at least a foot long, which leads me to believe they couldn't have been much healthier. Since I removed the hyacinths, my water lillies are blooming like mad. Before I was only getting one blossom a day if I was lucky. Now I'm getting at least three blossoms a day. I'm sure it's the nutrients in the water and the amount of sun light the lillies are getting.

Reaction score
Oldmarine - I hear ya about the hyacinths! My pond is nearly covered with them, and I just pulled out at least a dozen of them and tossed them in my parent's pond. The water lilies are so crowded the pads are raising up in the air above the hyacinths. Have had maybe one lily bloom in the last 3 weeks... though, I did have a good 9 or 10 hyacinths blooming which was pretty.

My problem is... I do not have the heart to pull the hyacinths out and throw them away. I feel too guilty. So I have to wait for another trip to mom's to dump in her pond... :) But hearing that your lilies bloomed like that gives me great incentive!

Kym

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
put your hiacynths on craigslist...give them away or sell them a buck apeice ...they'll go ...my hiacynts bloomed 2 months ago... keep a few and put them in floating planter rings... keeps them where you want them and the roots protected from fish eating them...

Reaction score
You know what's strange - I don't see the video in your posts, but when I click the REPLY button on this thread, on the "reply to thread" page, down below this text box I'm typing in, it says "Already pinged:" and then has a link to your video.

Here's the video:

[ame]

Hope that works :toothy12:

Kym

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
when you do a video...go to youtube...bring up your video...to the right of the little veiwing screen there is a url listing and a embedding code...cut and paste the url to your post, not the embed code....................... other than that nice video

Reaction score
Thanks Kym!
I have 12" irrigation tubing for my fish to hide in. The big ones don't go in because they are too big but my smaller fish go and hide in there. I have 2-3 small rocks in it to keep it weighted down.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cisifom

Latest Threads