All the turtles have emerged for 2015! Yea!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Today I saw Morgan for the first time -- so all of the boxies have emerged! Momma can rest, now!

Here he is, gobbling down a worm -- YUM [well, for him.....]!

image.jpg

Here's a link to my thread -- when the first one showed up a few weeks ago. https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/first-turtle-of-the-season.16463/

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
LOL, but as soon as he finished the worm, he heard one of the other guys moving around, which brought out the "male hormones" and he got nervous and had to run off! Silly turtles do all this posturing stuff!

My next project will be to physically separate the 6 boys from the 1 girl with a barrier. The guys will still "posture," and act out, but at least Alphie [the girl] can be at peace in her own room where they won't have access to her!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Great news. I have still not seen the baby snapping turtle that was around before winter. I do not know if it stayed in the pond or went else where

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@tm I know you say the are good climbers. I need to put something in my 300 gallon lotus tank Found a turtle shell when I was mucking it out. Breaks my heart to think the poor thing drowned. I had stable rocks around it so the turtles could get a drink. You would think they would go into the shallow bog to get water.

What would the best climbing type thing to build to help turtles get out of the tank? It is 2.5 feet deep, straight sides. I did have logs, sticks, but must not have been enough.

I was thinking of using some of our bee hardware cloth, 1/2 inch size holes, make a ramp, or bend it and wire some rocks to it so they could sort of step out.

Any suggestions? These are wild turtles.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Maggie we are so very pleased for you as we know you love your turtles so and to see one eating is a major plus well done , how are all the fish doing did they make it through ok too ?

Dave

Ask a Question