j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Thanks, things are so wet and cool here during the Fall that this is pretty much all the plants that will grow here now. Everything else is sleeping and when the freezing comes even the little fungi's and mushroom/toadstools will melt into oblivion.

Reaction score
That's one thing I like about the West coast, things continue to grow and many plants stay green even in the winter.
I use to live on the West Coast for a while, up on Northern Vancouver island. Quite a change in climate from where I live now, only a few hundred miles away. Here it's so dry that forest fire can be a big concern 10 months of the year, on the Island it never stopped raining, you could pick mushrooms like that in your living-room.

Use to pick these kind when I was up there.
Freshly-Picked-Shrooms.jpg
That was a long time ago :blink:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Our area the grass can stay green all winter, flowers can bloom or we can get smacked with snow freeze etc. This is my 4th winter here, two out of 3 we had green grass for the winter. One winter all was white.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Wow mucky those mushrooms look like some I see on my walks but I'd be afraid to try them as I don't know if they would be the same ones for sure that you have in your hand.
If you stand still too long out in the rain here, the moss might start forming on your nose :razz:

Reaction score
Wow mucky those mushrooms look like some I see on my walks but I'd be afraid to try them as I don't know if they would be the same ones for sure that you have in your hand.
Well Sissy,those mushrooms don't really taste very good anyway, however if you are looking to expand your mind and experience the world from an altered, separate reality, then that handful right there would be more than enough. :blueflower:
They are easy to positively identify in the field. Grassy fields is where you'll generally find them, in patches or rings. They have a fairly defined nipple on the top. They will bruise and change color to purple when you squish them, and if you lay the caps out on a piece of white paper for a few hours they will leave a purple spore print on the paper. They are actually pretty common all along the west coast. I wouldn't be at all surprised if you had some on your property.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
If they are gonna give me a psychedelic far out trip then count me out as my mind is expanded to it's fullest degree. Maybe back in the 60's I would have thought about it but never had any pscho m-rooms that I can remember anyways. Sounds like you are an expert on them mucky
hippies77.gif

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We got to watch out for our expanded minds jw! No thanks to trying to find wild mushrooms............expanders or not, they kill ya too easy!

Ask a Question