Allergic to water hyacinth?

Reaction score
Hi, I was playing in the pond Thursday morning and then I went on to finnish building my new deck in the back yard. I moved my water plants that I have grouped together and fishing wired them so they stay in one place.

Friday morning, I woke up in the middle of the night with my right hand itching like crazy. In the morning i noticed a bunch of little white bumps on my fingers and they were all swelled up. At first I thought I got bit by a spider or somthing, then I thought poison ivy.

Last night I noticed that my fishing wire contraption let go from where I had it bound to so I moved it and fixed it. This morning I have the same rash on my face next to my mouth.???????

I tried to google and it looks like some people are allergic to the land hyacinth that you plant but I cant find much about the water version. I figured you smart people here would a good place to ask!

P.S. I have 5 water hyacinth, 3 blue iris??, and 5 heads of hornwart in the water. Everything is in the actual pond except the hornwart, its in the top of the filter.

Thanks

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Are you sure you didn't touch any poison ivy or oak? It is common to spread it to your face by normal touching with an infected hand.

Reaction score
I looked in the area I was building the deck in today and I dont see anything out there. I havnt played with weeds since last Sunday. I even looked where my dog tie out is and I dont see any poison ivy however I am very allergic to it. I used to get it alot as a kid. Its all just wierd unless I got it from someone else.

Ask a Question