Alternative bacteria

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I am studying all aspects of building a biological filter for a series of interconnecting lakes here in Kenya where I live. Everything I read refers to getting a starter pack of bacteria which can be bought at any pet shop. Problem is we do not have any pet shops. I also cannot order on line as everything I get sent here gets stolen at the post office.
Can I substitute something for the bacteria commercially available with something like Yogurt?
Regards from Kenya
Aussiemike

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Sorry to here you have such a hard time getting anything to your front door.
Once you get your filters in place and start running them , bacteria will start to forum on your media,
It wont happen over night but it will happen . in 3 to 6 weeks it should be going strong
I don't know any recipes

Reaction score
Thanks Dr. Case,
I will do as you suggest. Maybe a little yogurt as I have heard nothng to the contrary.
May I ask one more question.
Should this bio filter be kept in the dark or should I subject it to light?
Regards
from Kenya
Aussiemike
PS Not only do we have problems getting things to the door but even more problems keeping them in when we do.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Sun light wont hurt any thing..
I have loose lids on mine just to keep things out.

Reaction score
Mine is completely underground in a filter pit with no effect. As the docs have said--sun or shade doesn't matter. It must have oxygen, however, so no tight fitting lid.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
like DrDave, my filters are open topped also, and in full sun.. i throw in a couple of water hiacynths, which flourish there as they have a constant flow of usable nutrient rich water flowing across their roots, they will grow and multiply at a good pace and supply a "veggy filter" stage to your filter. the more they grow and multiply the more filtration they supply.

Reaction score
Yogurt won't help..... wrong bacteria, it contains Acidophilus, which aids in digestion in mamals. What you want to establish is Nitrosomonas and Nitrobacter, this will happen by itself, you don't need to seed it to grow.

Reaction score
hi! I wouldn't put yogurt in your pond or filter. It's the wrong type of bacteria. Yogurt contains bacteria meant for the human intestine, to aid in digestion, which is completely different from the bacteria (nitrobacter) you want in your pond. On top of that, yogurt contains all sorts of things (sugar, protein, fat) that will foul up your pond and create a big mess plus an ammonia spike.

You'd be much better off to just start with lots of plants and a light stocking of fish and let nature take it's course. The bacteria will develop on it's own in response to the presence of fish waste.

I didn't use any bacteria products in my pond, and it still cycled just fine. I also don't use bacteria products in my tanks - again, I stock lightly at first and just wait for the bacteria to grow on its own.

Hope that helps!

Ask a Question