Alternative to the discontinued API Pond Breather?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I recently found the ever-elusive Forum favorite API Pond Breather. In researching for a deicer, I stumbled across this. The concept seems to be similar to that of the API and I'm wondering if it might be a good substitute for the discontinued item. However I'm not able to find a whole lot of information or reviews on the product. Have any of you had any experience with it?

Laguna Pond De-Icer PT-1645 - 14" Diameter Styrofoam Surface Agitator

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I recently found the ever-elusive Forum favorite API Pond Breather. In researching for a deicer, I stumbled across this. The concept seems to be similar to that of the API and I'm wondering if it might be a good substitute for the discontinued item. However I'm not able to find a whole lot of information or reviews on the product. Have any of you had any experience with it?

Laguna Pond De-Icer PT-1645 - 14" Diameter Styrofoam Surface Agitator
no, hardly the same thing. A pond breather has a heating element, a floating element, and a small water pump. This link has only the floating part that I can see. You'd do better to just suspend a small pump 12" below your water surface and direct the flow up. That all by itself would help keep the ice from closing over. Or better, just use an aertor at the same height and let the bubbles do it. That's why using the agro plastic and making a tent works so well as it traps the earth's heat in and allows the sun to heat it too all while not exposing your water to freezing temps as easily.

Ask a Question