Alternative

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Since I now live in Florida it is illegal to purchase water hyacinth and water lettuce…two of my favorites for fish cover but won’t miss the hoops to keep them contained (I have a skimmer) would love something that can sit in the water in a pot and spread on the surface. I have a big beautiful lily but would like something different:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
seeing as to how they're 'wild' there, IFN ya still wanted some, why not mosey over to a nearby WL & WH glade with your trusty lil bucket and net? I've done this with some wild waterlilies, here; no one misses them, trust me! As to alternates, you'll have to do some research re viability of MY suggestions down in Fla as I'm in Mi. So, nice ones are; sensitive plant, frogbit, parrot's feather, pennywort, water poppy, azolla, mosaic plant. Now, no doubt a few of the above are going to be aggressive/invasive, so bear that in mind as you'll have to keep them contained, but since you're used to doing such with the WL and WH, I figure you're a pro, hey? :p:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
Since I now live in Florida it is illegal to purchase water hyacinth and water lettuce…two of my favorites for fish cover but won’t miss the hoops to keep them contained (I have a skimmer) would love something that can sit in the water in a pot and spread on the surface. I have a big beautiful lily but would like something different:)Mmm. they are a nuisance n some wild areas,

Since I now live in Florida it is illegal to purchase water hyacinth and water lettuce…two of my favorites for fish cover but won’t miss the hoops to keep them contained (I have a skimmer) would love something that can sit in the water in a pot and spread on the surface. I have a big beautiful lily but would like something different:)
Mmm. "They" tell me there's a Florida rule: there's always an alligator in a fresh body of water, so be careful wading around helping clear our natural waters of pesky WH and WL. (So far, my pond does not have an alligator.) It does have hornwort which congregates in the bottom of the pond and provides nice cover. I haven't yet gotten any floating cover except for water lilies. As I continue to find things, I'll let you know.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Mmm. "They" tell me there's a Florida rule: there's always an alligator in a fresh body of water, so be careful wading around helping clear our natural waters of pesky WH and WL. (So far, my pond does not have an alligator.) It does have hornwort which congregates in the bottom of the pond and provides nice cover. I haven't yet gotten any floating cover except for water lilies. As I continue to find things, I'll let you know.
I got an alligator in mine, but it's only the head!

Mi NEEDS an expression like yours!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Well, this might not cover all of MI, but perhaps, "in every body of water in MI, there's a loon"? (sorry, was I calling Michiganders loons? no way.)
HEY! I relate to that! And actually, you have to go pretty far north to see loons on a regular basis, more in Canada than here. I DID see one--once; it landed and spent a precious 15 minutes at our 'big pond down the block'. I was headed to work, saw it, knew exactly what I had, turned around, rushed inside, grabbed my dslr, spent an even more precious 5 minuts parked along the pond, snapping away. It left but I got 20 shots of it! They're a LOT biggger than I realized, almost a small Canada goose, but a lot prettier! I'll post a shot or two I got below as you've stoked the fire a bit...just a mo'...(feel free to post your aligators!)

180426 - loon, frogs by pond, daff 084.jpg

180426 - loon, frogs by pond, daff 092.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Italy
In Italy water hyacinth is illegal too, but we got

EICHHORNIA AZUREA, is the water h. with roots...​

you should check if in Florida is legal...

alternative: Azolla filiculoides, Hydrocharis morsus-ranae(dunno if there is there too), Stratiotes aloides, Trapa natans, nuphar lutea, nymphoides peltata, Aponogeton distachyos....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
What an excellent list, and thank you (grazie). I looked up each in the Florida noxious and invasive species database.
:)Azolla filiculoides: "American water fern” is OK.
:)Hydrocharis morsus-ranae: is not in Florida, but related frog bit "Limnobium Spongia" is FL native
:alien:Stratiotes aloides: No, invasive
:unsure:Trapa natans: (water chesnut) I think it’s a “no”, am checking further
:)nuphar lutea: There’s a Florida native, nuphar advena “spatterdock”
:alien:nymphoides peltata: No, invasive (yellow floating heart)
:unsure:Aponogeton distachyos: also called Cape pondweed is considered a water hawthorn, so I’m checking further, but I think "no"

Rubyduby (and others), I've intended to do better at sourcing non-invasive, non-noxious plants suitable for Florida ponds and so now I'm on a mission. I'll share good information as I get it.
Admin people, should I start some sort of "Florida pond plant" conversation/ thread?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Italy
What an excellent list, and thank you (grazie). I looked up each in the Florida noxious and invasive species database.
:)Hydrocharis morsus-ranae: is not in Florida, but related frog bit "Limnobium Spongia" is FL native
:unsure:Aponogeton distachyos: also called Cape pondweed is considered a water hawthorn, so I’m checking further, but I think "no"

Rubyduby (and others), I've intended to do better at sourcing non-invasive, non-noxious plants suitable for Florida ponds and so now I'm on a mission. I'll share good information as I get it.
Admin people, should I start some sort of "Florida pond plant" conversation/ thread?
You welcome(prego). and about Eichhornia azurea? is a No? :(

I can seek more floating/similar waterlilies plants later...i'm just "zapping" on net...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Thank you for the suggestions brokensword and for some much needed humor:) I will keep my eye out and my bucket handy!
thanks…looking into hornwort:)
HEY! I relate to that! And actually, you have to go pretty far north to see loons on a regular basis, more in Canada than here. I DID see one--once; it landed and spent a precious 15 minutes at our 'big pond down the block'. I was headed to work, saw it, knew exactly what I had, turned around, rushed inside, grabbed my dslr, spent an even more precious 5 minuts parked along the pond, snapping away. It left but I got 20 shots of it! They're a LOT biggger than I realized, almost a small Canada goose, but a lot prettier! I'll post a shot or two I got below as you've stoked the fire a bit...just a mo'...(feel free to post your aligators!)

View attachment 145456
View attachment 145457

View attachment 145458
Ohhhh...You are making me miss the Adirondacks big time! I had a camp (that's what we call our lake houses there) on Upper Saint Regis and the loons had babies every year....It always was sad when they left for the winter:( Nothing sounds more primitive....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States

alternative: Azolla filiculoides, Hydrocharis morsus-ranae(dunno if there is there too), Stratiotes aloides, Trapa natans, nuphar lutea, nymphoides peltata, Aponogeton distachyos....
Thank you Dimelius...I will look into these for sure:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States

Well this is priceless information for me Sarah! Thank you so much!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I have a skimmer so I need something that can be contained in a pot and spreads across the water to add more shade like a water lily but I already have one and wanted something with a different leaf....I was wondering if water poppy or giant pennywort would thrive here in Florida?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
are ya gonna title it; 'Collect Your Own Native Species; How to Become Gator Bait' ? Let me know and I'll go make some more popcorn!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States

Damn, now WHY did I have ta get a squire that is smarter than all the other lil ponders including ME???? heh heh, I gots ta admire your swagger, Dime, but in addition to 'showing off' (;)) add the common names so us less fortunates can MORE easily google, hey? :LOL::love:;):):p:D:eek::oops::rolleyes: (I dunno, just runnin' out of smilies trying to relay all my feelings at the mo!!)

Ask a Question