Alternatives to the feed tank for DYI skippy type build

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I was wondering if anyone has used a preformed pond to build their filters?

Also was considering splitting it up into to totes - 1 37 gallon and one 50 gall. to make a filter with a settling tank system ( the 37 gal.), and the bio-filter in the 50 ga. tot. I've been reading over at the koiphen board that they are using air bubbling up through their bio filters to make them more efficient, and I'm also trying to figure out how to keep the above ground profile of the filter down .

I'm currently operating a 440 gallon pond that came with my house when I bought it, and want to build a 1000-1,500 gal pond above it to (I'm on a hill), or expand the lower to 1,500 and build a 400 above it (not sure which way to go). Still I need to build a filter that can handle a total of 2,00 gallons of pond with 9 gold fish and up to small 6 koi (that I will add in the spring). I have to small pumps that will do a combined 800 gph and will pick up another that will do 1500-2000 (depending on what I can afford). The pump I can afford will determine the ultimate size of the pond.

I have the 37 gal. tote and can get the 50 gal. for $20 at Lowes. Its there tougher build one with thicker plastic and texture that add rigidity. I thought I would rig up the one as a settling tank with a drain and some type of material to slow the water down on its way up to the piping that would then flow into the bottom of the biological in the 50 gal tote. I'd build that like a Skippy so that there would be a second place for solids to come out before rising to the top and then spilling into the top pond.

I've looked for and had trouble locating a 55 gal. plastic drum for cheap. So this is what I was going to try. I'd house it all in a wooden boxk that could serve as a bench near the pond.

So tell me all my problems in this rough design model.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I used the totes for one of my filters but i doubled it up .One tote i just cut the handles off so the other tote fit right down inside .the totes have a tendency to bulge if they are not heavy enough .I bought heavy duty ones .You can also use a stock tank from tractor supply .i bought 2 in the last couple of weeks at auctions .I just went on to auction zip.com and clicked on the state where i live and looked at all the auctions to see which ones where near me and if they are selling anything I may want and most times they have pics of the things for sale .i paid 20 and 30 dollars for mine and then funny thing one did not sell and auctioneer gave it to me for nothing it is small but never know what I may use it for www.auctionzip.com forgot I used a plantainer from lowes for my other one

Reaction score
When you said "tote" I thought you meant a chemical tote. Google image "500 gallon tote" and you'll see what I mean. Depending on where you live, who you work for, who you know in town, etc. you might be able to pick up a big chemical tote for free. We got one from our work site. They had a few dozen spares that were never picked up by the chemical suppliers. The one we got came to our facility with some sort of flocculant inside. We stuck a fire hose inside and rinsed it for a few hours before taking it home.

A huge tote might be overkill, but what the hey. I cut the top off with a jigsaw, then screwed a strip of rubber on around the outside of the new "lid" to create a half-way decent seal. When reassembled, the two bars that create the top of the metal cage acted as a support for the lid. Used the oft-mentioned ceiling light diffusers as a grid in the bottom. We bought a roll of textured poly strapping material for biomaterial, used some bulkhead fittings to bring the water in and out. The built-in drain valve is very handy for the occasional flush.

It makes a very robust filter vessel. All you need is some way to hide it! If you live in cold climates you'll probably want to build some sort of insualting structure around it, and in the summertime you might want to shade it. Here in Western Washington ours appears to be unaffected by the short freezing spells.

Ask a Question