Am I insane

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have looked through here and haven't found any discussion about what I want to do...Sorry if I missed it.

My idea...for 10 years and just now acting on it... Pump water from a large 1.5 acre pond Up a 25' high hill approximately 125 feet (from pond to pond) into a garden type decorative pond, with a stream return to the large pond. (possibly in the future a second small pond on the way back down to the large pond (natural indent where the water wants to flow). I have the plumbing semi together to make sure the pump can lift a sufficient amount of water that far, and seems to be working with a sufficient volume to maintain the stream. I am in western NY and want to keep it running all winter for the birds and other animals, so the pump will be about 10 feet out into the pond...anyways is this just going to be a nightmare? The large pond is full of weeds, so I assume nitrites will be high. I want to have goldfish/koi and some plants. Looking to dig the hole, and line the pond probably about 4' deep, hoping the flowing water will keep it from freezing solid.

TIA

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
upload_2018-5-14_8-54-41.gif
@Gerald Chrisman
Wow that sounds like quite a project and sorry I would not know how to help you w/this but I will be interested in seeing how it all turns out. If the large pond is full of weeds it may be that all those plants are sucking up a lot of the nitrates. I would get a test kit and measure the hill ponds water.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! Are you insane? Everyone here is, to some degree, LOL!

Do I understand correctly that the main pond is earthen and natural, and that you are wanting to connect it to a lined pond?

Not my area of expertise, but I’m sure someone else can help you out. Can you post pictures of the area(s) you are considering? And a hand-drawn diagram would really help me visualize this — I am challenged in that respect (any old drawing will do).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have been wanting to do it, but not wanting to "DO" (the work) since i moved in. Yes Mmathis, The large pond is basically dying, and I don't have the money to dredge it. It was a stream that was dug out and blocked up by a previous owner. sketch...lol I will see what I can do.. I have the art ability of a 2 year old. Pics will come tomorrow, didn't think to get any. I am on a wooded parcel it should look really neat if I keep the will to get it done! Took me 10 years to get the pump set up and running...now to start the dig! LOL

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Go for it, but consider switching it off and draining the pipe work through prolonged freezing conditions

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
So on the last pic you can see the general area. There is a tiny kidney pond there now, it will be dug out and made 3 or 4 times bigger. That whole area is flat, the green bushes by the 2 trees closest, is where the drop of about 3 feet, The far right hand side, middle of the frame, the yellowish green patch is the second flat, and actually hollowed out area where pond 2 (3) may go. I plan to run the stream between the 2 trees, there is more room than it looks. The view is from my deck. :):snaphappy:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
welcome @Gerald Chrisman
I can be done, but being by the finger lakes freezing may be an issue. Have you thought to bury the supply below the freeze line? Will be a lot of work if your land is rocky or hard packed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I am hoping... (fingers crossed) that the warmer (natural) pond water flowing through the pipes will keep them thawed. The only concern would be the stream freezing (outlet), but there isn't anything there to damage if it freezes and overflows. I would put the pump in at least 4 feet of water (again in natural pond) to insure it doesn't freeze. If the line does freeze, I would just pull the plug, there is no check valve so the line would drain, and again 4 feet of water depth would keep the pump from freezing..... It would be a wicked cold winter, and I would have bigger problems, if it made 4 feet of ice. I won't have, or will remove any other pumps in the decorative pond itself.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@Nyboy to be honest I don't know. In my case I would have to build a driveway on 2 sides of the pond. As you can see from the pics, the woods comes right to the edge and is soft for several feet on dry land on the house (north) side, to the west is a peninsula, that is doing it's intended job and is pretty beat up. Add to that, it is considered a federal and state wetland, so permits are needed to fart on my property:mad:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
I have looked through here and haven't found any discussion about what I want to do...Sorry if I missed it.

My idea...for 10 years and just now acting on it... Pump water from a large 1.5 acre pond Up a 25' high hill approximately 125 feet (from pond to pond) into a garden type decorative pond, with a stream return to the large pond. (possibly in the future a second small pond on the way back down to the large pond (natural indent where the water wants to flow). I have the plumbing semi together to make sure the pump can lift a sufficient amount of water that far, and seems to be working with a sufficient volume to maintain the stream. I am in western NY and want to keep it running all winter for the birds and other animals, so the pump will be about 10 feet out into the pond...anyways is this just going to be a nightmare? The large pond is full of weeds, so I assume nitrites will be high. I want to have goldfish/koi and some plants. Looking to dig the hole, and line the pond probably about 4' deep, hoping the flowing water will keep it from freezing solid.

TIA

Welcome! And my middle name is Gerald as my dad, grand-daddy and son so you're already aces in my book :D

If you go 4 feet you might want to consider a bottom drain. It will really help keeping it clean. I recommend the koi toilet.

Ask a Question