Am i lucky or what?

deesee

deesee
Reaction score
I do all the wrong things,
I wash my filter sponges out with my garden hose.
I top my pond up frequently using the garden spray.
I have pea gravel all over the bottom of my pond, but only one pebble depth.
I have my lilies planted only in pea gravel.
I have never tested my water in any way in over ten years.
I feed my fish at random times, but always at dusk.

And what does this give me.

My pond is always crystal clear.
I can see the pebbles on the bottom of the pond at all times, its only 2ft deep.
My lilies are the best this year they have ever been.
I never have to clean the bottom of the pond, i have a waterfall at the west of the pond and my pump at the east, and all the dirt/sludge just seems to gravitate to the pump thus to the filter.
My ten golden orfe have grown from 3" to 12" in only four years, and they are healthy, cynics will say, how do you know they are healthy, when you have been around fish and wild life for 60yrs, you can tell.
I expect to be shot down in flames by they who know, but the proof is here before me, i wait your replies with trepidation

Reaction score
yeah, not exactly sure why you are looking for gun fire--we really aren't that type of group. Sounds like perhaps you might have been on other boards that may have ripped you judging by your very first introductory post here. Maybe you're trying to test us to see how we'll react... well, clap! clap! if you feel comfortable with the way YOU are raising YOUR fish and YOUR fish are happy and healthy--who should tell you otherwise?

Heck, it doesn't even seem like you need this site. I guess my question to you is why are you here on Garden Pond Talk and what are you hoping to get out of the group?

deesee

deesee
Reaction score
koikeepr said:
yeah, not exactly sure why you are looking for gun fire--we really aren't that type of group. Sounds like perhaps you might have been on other boards that may have ripped you judging by your very first introductory post here. Maybe you're trying to test us to see how we'll react... well, clap! clap! if you feel comfortable with the way YOU are raising YOUR fish and YOUR fish are happy and healthy--who should tell you otherwise?

Heck, it doesn't even seem like you need this site. I guess my question to you is why are you here on Garden Pond Talk and what are you hoping to get out of the group?

The reason i posted was because so often you are told what you should/should not do on forums, all i am saying is that sometimes we get carried away by how difficult it is to keep fish, that it can keep newbies from starting this wonderfull hobby, i was just trying to redress the balance a bit, and say to them do not be put off by all the bad press.

Reaction score
Hey, all of us do things in ponding that someone else isn't going to agree with. You will find those that live by bottom drains, and those that can't stand 'em. Some are free with chemical remedies and others poo poo them. Skimmers? Another hot button...and on and on.

Great thing about ponding is that it's not a one size fits all kinda thing. What works for you may not work for another. If you have a very stable water situation and you are on top of maintenance, then you are clearly doing something right that works for you.

Welcome aboard. There's nothing like a variety of viewpoints!

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
deesee
Please add your location in the User CP at the top of the page and welcome to the Forum.

I'm not sure what your introduction was all about. It could have been a little more positive.

We sometimes agree to disagree and we all have our quirks that work for us. The important thing is we are all here to help each other whenever possible.

Some here might find it interesting who I consider a friend even though we don't agree on everything.

Lets all try to make this thread a little more pleasant for our guests please.

Reaction score
Just wanted to say - love this site because they DON'T flame you :)

I posted over on a koi-specific site looking for some feedback on my koi, and was told to rehome my koi. Seems nobody there was willing to think outside the box - if you want koi, you need a strictly koi pond: bottom drain, crazy filtration, and no plants.

There are general rules of thumb, but there's always exceptions.

For example, you're not "supposed" to mix tropicals with goldfish. When I converted my 90g from tropical to goldfish, I wasn't willing to give up my congo tetras. They both tolerate the same temps and water params, so I figured I'd leave them in there. They've both thrived. My biggest male congo is now almost 4" long, and my goldfish have definitely not suffered.

Reaction score
chilligirl said:
Just wanted to say - love this site because they DON'T flame you :)

I posted over on a koi-specific site looking for some feedback on my koi, and was told to rehome my koi. Seems nobody there was willing to think outside the box - if you want koi, you need a strictly koi pond: bottom drain, crazy filtration, and no plants.

There are general rules of thumb, but there's always exceptions.

For example, you're not "supposed" to mix tropicals with goldfish. When I converted my 90g from tropical to goldfish, I wasn't willing to give up my congo tetras. They both tolerate the same temps and water params, so I figured I'd leave them in there. They've both thrived. My biggest male congo is now almost 4" long, and my goldfish have definitely not suffered.

Oh dear! What a shame that group said that to you. I suspect I know which one you're talking about as well.

Yes, yes, we're not looking to battle with or demean anyone...just looking to help. And learn! What could be better?! I learn from y'all every day...

Reaction score
meh, I'll live, lol, I've got a thick skin. I'm sticking it out over there, and starting to get some useful feedback and advice.

I find a lot of message boards that are very specific tend to be a bit militant in their views and attitudes. More general boards, such as this one, are often a bit gentler/friendlier to newbies :)

Reaction score
I liked this forum from the minute I found it. Everyone seems friendly and helpful. I have implemented many of the things I've read about here and appreciate the knowledge base...

deesee

deesee
Reaction score
stroppy said:
wellcome deesee ...can we see some pond pictures ...i just love looking at them all :)

I have no trouble taking photos of my pond, i am just not clever enough to post them, i will ask one of my kids to do it for me the next time they call

deesee

deesee
Reaction score
koikeepr said:

Sorry KoiKeeper, it probably was not a very clever post for my first one, what i was trying to say was that i seem to be doing all the things that people tell me, on forums, that i should not do, yet having success, i just wondered if other people did the same, and had success also, in no way was i trying to say ,i know it all, far far from it, i just wanted your views, as an international forum on my theories.

Ask a Question