Am I Mad?

ed2

Reaction score
Well, after 17 years in education (out of 22 years on this fine planet!) I have just two days left of university before I qualify as a Paramedic :D

However; for some reason I cannot explain, I decided I didn't want to leave education now that 'freedom' is just two days away!! I've finally got to the place that most youngsters dream of for most of their lives. I've only gone and applied for a two year part-time Bachellor of Science Honours Degree in Applied Paramedic Science and decided I want to apply for Graduate Medicine... And to really make matters worse I've been offered a definite place on the degree programme too :eek:

Fish in my bedroom... signing another 6 years of my life away to education.... I'M NOT RIGHT IN THE HEAD!!!!

;)

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Actually, maybe you are! I don't know about over there. Here, education is everything. My sister is what I call a professional student. I can't tell you how many degress she has, not a clue. I can't tell you what many are, she's been going to college for over 30 years, But she just turned the ripe young age of 65, She started school after her and her husbands two girls were grown and through college themselves. That was a present to herself was to go to college when she had her kids grown. They each have great jobs and are doing quite well. My sister is a practacing in home Dr. and a professor at a major university now. She takes some classes every year so she is still considered a student and can get student loans and such. Does she keep a pond in the room,? NO, but you thought it for a second didn't you. LOL Actually she has a flea market store where she sells refurbished antiques. I don't know how she does it all but she loves her life, her family and her education. her family has done quite well for themselves.
I on the other hand took getting a high school diploma, went in the service for four years, then a semester of college and dropped out. although I did quite well working in the Oilfield for 15 yeras, It wasn't what i wanted to do, I wasn't happy with my job, and I didn't get to raise my kids the way I wanted to. One didn't finish school, one got pregnant very young and is having a rough time at being a young parent, one went to college and is doing quite well, and one, well just say I hope he graduates next year, he's a smart kid but isn't applying himself at this time. I see how much imporatnce a good education can be now that I'm older. Even considering taking some technical college classes now. Even if it means raising fish in the room, Go for the education. . You'll be happy you made the choice later in life!

ed2

Reaction score
Thank you for that! It's a very nice reply and good to hear :) As for your daughter, that sounds a lot like my parents! My mum fell pregnant at 15, her dad went nuts and she chose to 'run away' with my father. It took my mum years to make it up with her parents and then sadly her mum and sister died within 12 months of eachother. She really regrets the fall out now as you can imagine!

Anyway, my mum had my sister when she was 16 and I was born on her 20th birthday (our joint birthday tomorrow in fact :D ). She didn't get an education and neither did my father... but now my mum has climbed through from a secretary at a school to a lead council prosecutor. My sister is a senior council communications, IT and customer service coordinator for one of the biggest councils in the UK and I'm due to qualify as a Paramedic with scope to develop to be a Doctor :)

So what I'm trying to say is that education doesn't have to be everything and if you work at it, despite tough times like your daughter is experiencing right now, it doesn't mean you're defeated :)

Ed

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Not mad at all! Smart really! Better to get all those years of school done while your young, before bills, kids and other things start making it harder and harder to reach your goals! I had my daughter at 16, finished HS, married her father, went to college (major: psychology) divorced his abusive @ss, and then ended up having to put school on the back burner because it was just to much trying to raise a daughter on my own. Happily remarried now, stay at home with my twin boys, my daughter is about to start high school. Maybe one of these days I'll get to go back but who knows.....

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Go for it ed!
I have a masters in science, I only survived a few years in the job my degree trained me for, couldn't stand it. The job I loved required only a high school degree when I started in it. But you learn how to learn by going to school, I used my education to do other jobs besides my primary one. One side job was building and maintaining the departments first computer system. My mom said get married have kids, my dad said go to college, followed my dad's advice.

You will never regret the schooling.

ed2

Reaction score

I know it's the right thing to do but I just can't believe I have started down the path of another 6 years! lol To be fair though the pressure is off now. I hopefully start full time employment in September with an ambulance service so I will be earning. With the part-time course I can drop out after 9 months with the BSc, have a break and go back at a later date, or I can do the straight 24 months to get it. I think it's up to 6 years you can take to do it if you want to do it in bits. The idea is that you are in clinical practice too so you shouldn't forget what you learn (unlike everything I learnt at high school ;) ).

When I have my BSc Hons I can choose to go into lecturing, advance in the service to an advanced paramedic practitioner, continue to get a masters/doctorate and become a Paramedic Consultant or do the 4 year full time medicine. There is also a physician's assistant role that I could do which would take two years. I think they are an American thing that are starting to come to the UK.

What I'm trying to say is that after these last two days at university, I can then take everything from there on at my own pace which will remove most of the pressure of the work I hope :D

Ed

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
No madness at all in you Ed! You keep aiming for the stars and as high as you choose to fly! No end to what you can learn in this world of ours and nothing you can't do if you apply yourself. I would be extremely proud of you if you were my son and you also seem to be a caring person and anyone who cares for a bunch of tiny defenseless baby fish in their room in a swim pool is ok by me. Having a very caring attitude is something that the medical field needs in all of their professions..............go on to be the best that you can be. Hope you will still be checking in w/ us when you get time from your busy schedule ahead
SurgeonChainsaw.gif

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Happy Birtday, Ed!!! You certainly won't regret the education.
John

Ask a Question