sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Well noticed my pond looked like it was loosing water so last night turned off one pump and redirected other pump into the pond .I then looked all around the double layer of walls no water so next I pulled plants out with the roots and trimmed the roots but only after hours of watching the upper pond and the filter pond to see if water got lower in either one and that is no .My filters are both inside liner and my pumps are in the pond and my hoses are in the pond and even run up to the filters of pond inside the liner .The first pic is the other filter second pic is of that filter area with out the filter and that was taken at sun up .No water lost 3rd pic is other filter tank 4th pic is at sun up and it was sprinkling out 5th pic is of waterfall spitter which has lost no water after 4 hours off .6 th and 7th pic is after rain and that was on the 8th of August as driveway was sealed that day and how full it was 8 th and 9th pic is string I keep on a plastic measuring stick I have in the pond that is not to the bottom .I just use it to mark water level plus you can see the water level on the pvc board any ideas would help .I pulled all the plants that had roots out of the waterfall areas and trimmed there roots while i was at it and all roots were inside liners and no holes .Liner was put in last year and i inspected it closely and have never lost water like this before .I started to notice it last Wednesday the 12th of August .I took an LED high powered light last night to look at the liner inside and could find no holes or feel anything .I am putting water in pond now to bring it up to the height it should be .I have been up all night trying to see what is going on .What next can I do .Hope the pics help explain my whacking set up but it works

Attachments

• driveway and all round yard and pond 2015 018.JPG
    driveway and all round yard and pond 2015 018.JPG
    246 KB · Views: 323
  • pond leak or  plants 043.JPG
    pond leak or plants 043.JPG
    255.4 KB · Views: 264
  • lotus seed pond and property and eggplant  2015 042.JPG
    lotus seed pond and property and eggplant 2015 042.JPG
    186.1 KB · Views: 273
  • pond leak or  plants 029.JPG
    pond leak or plants 029.JPG
    279 KB · Views: 306
  • pond leak or  plants 046.JPG
    pond leak or plants 046.JPG
    127.3 KB · Views: 287
  • lotus seed pond and property and eggplant  2015 024.JPG
    lotus seed pond and property and eggplant 2015 024.JPG
    211.7 KB · Views: 278
  • lotus seed pond and property and eggplant  2015 013.JPG
    lotus seed pond and property and eggplant 2015 013.JPG
    106.8 KB · Views: 243
  • pond leak or  plants 014.JPG
    pond leak or plants 014.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 282
  • pond leak or  plants 013.JPG
    pond leak or plants 013.JPG
    118.5 KB · Views: 253
  • pond leak or  plants 014.JPG
    pond leak or plants 014.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 311
  • pond leak or  plants 041.JPG
    pond leak or plants 041.JPG
    127.4 KB · Views: 274

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Sissy- you said you turned off one pump. Did the water level continue to drop? That would narrow it down to a problem with that pump. Also, you mentioned spitters. Is it possible for one of them to have gotten redirected out of the pond for a while? Don't give up!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Well darn! You have got to be one of the most careful and dilgent ponders on this forum, so why you now, 'cause @addy1 just had her turn!

On your poll, you should have enabled the "can cast multiple votes" option. I say, "don't give up--keep trying to figure it out," and "yes" it could be the plants! And we all need to learn from this. And NO, you cannot give up your pond, Sissy! We need you!!!!

How much water did you lose? It sounds like it was gradual rather than sudden, or did I miss that part? Did the water level stabilize at a certain point?

No evidence of [obvious] claw or chew marks?

Do you have a bog? I have discovered that if the flow to my little turtle bog is too fast, the water overflows, but if it's just a little bit to fast [not fast enough for an active overflow], water will gradually "wick" out via the pea gravel. I lost about 6" the other night when I adjusted the flow to the little bog, but didn't wait to see how it raised the bog's water level [I always check that when I make a change]. Then, I was still having flow issues and discovered plant roots were growing into the intake screen... See pics.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 257
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 249
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Sissy these things are sent to try us look at our lightening strike, Marias problems just recently personally I'd check every inch of pipework jionts etc.
It could be plain old evaporation it is rather hot of late even a breeze can cause water loss
But sissy your a trooper and troopers go on and on , just look at Val and I 28 yers of koi keeping admittedly next year is our last show but thats down to health issues .
So keep on Trucking Sissy your in this for life :happy:

Dave

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Two losses in one month, one 8 to12 inches, the second 18 to 24 inches. One the leaking perform, then the Apple. It is upsetting, but got to just dig on and find the issue.
You would miss your pond and fish sissy.
Don't give up!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
All of my hoses are inside pond area and the waterfall spitter as you can see is inside the pond and the other one is tied under the middle of the bridge and just pushes water across the top of the water .no bog and inspected the liner really carefully took me 2 hours with a bright LED light to look at the liner .I have 2 pumps one that got turned off is the one to this filter and the tank sits inside a liner that runs right back into the pond so if it ever leaked it would go back into the pond .The other filter I pulled the hose out and just directed the water back into the pond straight from the hose .The blue bag is on.top of the hose to keep it going into the pond .The filter for that one is just a crate with lava rock and a filter pad that runs straight through the the crate into the liner and back into the pond .You can see the crate in 3rd pic .I just pulled up the liner from that one and looked at the dirt under it and it is all bone dry .I just got done putting 200 gallons(used water Controller ) of water back in the pond after trimming all the roots on the plants .I read that a banana plant if allowed can suck up as much as 50 gallons of water every 2 hours if they have access to it but are great water cleaners .It had a lot of roots that I trimmed so hoping it is just all the plants I have in the pond this year .I am watching it closely now .Now I know how addy and others feels that it seems like no matter what precautions you take something will happen 5th pic is that spitter in the waterfall pond .

Attachments

• pond leak or  plants 029.JPG
    pond leak or plants 029.JPG
    279 KB · Views: 224
  • pond leak or  plants 043.JPG
    pond leak or plants 043.JPG
    255.4 KB · Views: 214
  • pond leak or  plants 017.JPG
    pond leak or plants 017.JPG
    225.2 KB · Views: 250
  • pond leak or  plants 051.JPG
    pond leak or plants 051.JPG
    209.7 KB · Views: 255
  • pond leak or  plants 027.JPG
    pond leak or plants 027.JPG
    220.5 KB · Views: 274

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
roots of banana and the crate filter and some hoses

Attachments

• koi clay and pond leak and hose to pond 055.JPG
    koi clay and pond leak and hose to pond 055.JPG
    256.5 KB · Views: 242
  • koi clay and pond leak and hose to pond 058.JPG
    koi clay and pond leak and hose to pond 058.JPG
    246.7 KB · Views: 247
  • koi clay and pond leak and hose to pond 004.JPG
    koi clay and pond leak and hose to pond 004.JPG
    282.9 KB · Views: 200
  • koi clay and pond leak and hose to pond 057.JPG
    koi clay and pond leak and hose to pond 057.JPG
    169.1 KB · Views: 251
  • koi clay and pond leak and hose to pond 056.JPG
    koi clay and pond leak and hose to pond 056.JPG
    174.7 KB · Views: 235

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The roots of banana

Attachments

• koi clay and pond leak and hose to pond 002.JPG
    koi clay and pond leak and hose to pond 002.JPG
    252.4 KB · Views: 236

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I measure the roots they were over 5 feet long and wonder since it has 6 babies in that mesh bag .Could that be it .I took it out before and finally got to trimming the roots and think of taking the babies out now

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Wow, those are some roots on the banana , no wonder it's thriving !!

Ponding can be frustrating to be sure. I recently lowered my pond water to catch and re home fry, but in the process of doing what I thought was best, stressed my fish and they banged themselves up :( Sigh.....

Ask a Question