Ammonia Detoxiffiers

Reaction score
My pond is showing a high concentration of ammonia. I am using Microbe-Lift Ammonia Remover but in the directions I can not find out how long a treatment lasts; one day, a week, etc. I don't know how often to add it to the pond (250 gallons) with 2 koi. Please, if anyone definitely knows the answer to this please let me know. Thanks so much.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Have you retested the water? The ammonia should drop fairly quickly. You will need to do partial water changes as well until you get the level down.

Reaction score
I have done water changes until I am blue in the face. I retest and it is still usually around 8.0. My pond isn't overstocked with the 2 fish but I have a lot of toad frogs visiting at night and am wondering if their waste is contributing to this level.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Are you sure your test kit is accurate? I have never seen an ammonia level that high. 2-3ppm is usually fatal for all fish. Hopefully some of the more experianced ponders here can figure out what is going on. Good luck!

Reaction score
It is a brand new test kit made by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals (AP). I have an ammonia test kit ordered from Microbe-Lift and will see how they compare. This is really getting to me. I have also written to Microbe-Lift to see how long the Ammonia Remover dosage is good for, i.e., one day, a week, etc. Thanks for your thoughts and input. I have got to get this problem solved.

Reaction score
There are Two types of Amonia, Toxic and Non-Toxic. If you treated your water, it should have converted it to non toxic. They do not remove the amonia, they just convert it. However it will still show up when using your test kit.

You should be able to read about this in the paperwork of the test kit also.

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
I have never used that exact product, however I have never heard of any of them wearing off. If you do a water changed you will need to treat for the amount of water being added.

When you get the test strips from Microbe-Lift, they will give you the correct reading when using with their Ammonia Remover.

Reaction score
Now we're getting somewhere. :)) I just got the test kit from Microbe-Lift and it says the same as the other test kit...almost. Thanks for the information.

Ask a Question