Ammonia won't go.

Reaction score
So I have a 4500l, 1000 imp gal pond. Home made filter with 2 pads, 1 wool filter bed showering on 1000 bio balls and volancic rock. In addition i have a 60w uv, 7000l/ hr pump, a twin air pump and a small solar air pump all under the medit fizzing away. The water enters the pond 18inch height so good airation. I have 8x 6 inch koi, 10x 3-4 inch koi and 6x 4inch goldfish. My pond is well established 18 months. Nitrite 0, ph 7.5 ammonia though is 5ppm and has been for at least a month. I would think that my filter is being over worked and my pond is overstocked but the pond originally had 15x 12-15 inch koi (I had a very unfortunate plumbing issue and lost all but 1 fish ) back then the ammonia levels were 0 so I know the filter can handle the stock. I haven't lost any fish they seem happy and healthy. I have reduced my feeding and changed to a wheatgerm and I also have a lilly which is doing OK. No algae blooms. No smells. No run off. What's going on? Am I dancing with the devil?

Reaction score
It is several years old I think that's the only thing I haven't changed. I've also added 2x different ammonia removers and 5kg of zeolite. Still won't go. Thanks for the feedback.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sure :)

I would get a new test kit and recheck it. Not sure what type of test kit you use but the liquid drop test kits are more accurate than the strips and cost less in the long run.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Like @bettasngoldfish, I would wonder about your test kit. I make it a point to get a new kit every year. Also, what kind of water are you on and is it treated? We have chlorine AND chloramines in our city water. I can't explained the chemistry, but chloramines = ammonia. If you haven't yet, test your tap water.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Like @bettasngoldfish, I would wonder about your test kit. I make it a point to get a new kit every year. Also, what kind of water are you on and is it treated? We have chlorine AND chloramines in our city water. I can't explained the chemistry, but chloramines = ammonia. If you haven't yet, test your tap water.
Good idea to test your tap water, but even if it is chloramine, it should be 1-2 ppm. Mine is 1ppm. So even a full water change couldn't get you to 5 ppm. Like others, I suspect a bad test kit.

Reaction score
So I have a 4500l, 1000 imp gal pond. Home made filter with 2 pads, 1 wool filter bed showering on 1000 bio balls and volancic rock. In addition i have a 60w uv, 7000l/ hr pump, a twin air pump and a small solar air pump all under the medit fizzing away. The water enters the pond 18inch height so good airation. I have 8x 6 inch koi, 10x 3-4 inch koi and 6x 4inch goldfish. My pond is well established 18 months. Nitrite 0, ph 7.5 ammonia though is 5ppm and has been for at least a month. I would think that my filter is being over worked and my pond is overstocked but the pond originally had 15x 12-15 inch koi (I had a very unfortunate plumbing issue and lost all but 1 fish ) back then the ammonia levels were 0 so I know the filter can handle the stock. I haven't lost any fish they seem happy and healthy. I have reduced my feeding and changed to a wheatgerm and I also have a lilly which is doing OK. No algae blooms. No smells. No run off. What's going on? Am I dancing with the devil?

Hmmm I would you direct you to my thread the usefulness or uselessness testing water. https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/the-usefulness-or-uslessness-of-a-test-kit.19802/ In case your happy healthy fish don't now it they should be dead.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A, we are also very windy
Country
United States
Sounds like you're doing everything right, the pond should be established,
ammonia is 5ppm but Nitrite is 0, I'd take a water sample into an Aquarium shop for a 2nd opinion. If the 2nd confirms, make sure there's no dead mollusks or other critters on the bottom, dead snails and clams are notorious ammonia producers.
Even if the lava rock was completely clogged, I'd expect the bioballs to convert enough of the ammonia to nitrite to register, so I'd guess your test kit is wonky

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What's a bioball?
A plastic media that has a lot of surface area for bacteria to colonize. Something like this, but they come in all sorts of sizes and "designs."
image.jpeg

Ask a Question