amonia killing fish?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, thanks for having me on your forum.

I built a new pond in August last year and immediately added a Hozelock Bioforce Revolution filter with associated pump.

The pond is approx 9000L. The filter can run up to 14000L on a high stock pond.

In November I added 4 x 8" goldfish and 2 4" grass koi.
All was fine.
In Febuary I added another 5 x 8" goldfish, 4 x 5" Shubumpkins and 3 x 3" Orf. All the fish in the pond are from the same outlet.
By the end of March I noticed a couple of my Shumupkins and 1 of the Koi were not really doing much more than lazing at the bottom, only moving occaisionaly. Then a Shubimpkin died, then another and then the Koi. All about a week apart. At the same time the other koi started to act lazy. A week later he died. So I went back to the outlet for advice once It became clear this was an issue and not natural.
The outlet said my amonia was high. It was within the first, yellow box, 0-2.4 mg/l on the colour guide provided by an API test kit.
I bought some bacteria boost and added it to the filter and took home a test kit. That was a week ago.

At the weekend I tested the water and it was the same, 0 - 2.4 mg/l and last night I tested again and it was the same again so no change.

Today I returned home from work and found another Shubumpkin dead. None of the dead fish showed any signs of desease as far as I could see but I am no expert.
Tonight ALL the fish are lazy at the bottom of the pond.

I have no idea what to do about this amonia problem, if that is what is killing my fish. Can anyone help?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I'm very sorry about the loss of your fish.

Did anyone at the outlet advise you to do a water change? If not, you should and be sure to add a decholrinator if you're using tap water with chlorine . I'm not an expert, but would start with about a 25 % water change and retest. If the levels do not go down, there are ammonia binders for purchase as well.

Good luck and welcome to our forum :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Welcome, I would do a 50% water change right away, add aeration also if you can ( this will help a lot). Make sure you use DECHOLRINATOR if needed like Tula said. Your fish may already have to much ammonia damage to save them but give it a shot. I would reduce feeding or even stop all together until things get better. Good luck.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Hi, thanks for having me on your forum.

I built a new pond in August last year and immediately added a Hozelock Bioforce Revolution filter with associated pump.

The pond is approx 9000L. The filter can run up to 14000L on a high stock pond.

In November I added 4 x 8" goldfish and 2 4" grass koi.
All was fine.
In Febuary I added another 5 x 8" goldfish, 4 x 5" Shubumpkins and 3 x 3" Orf. All the fish in the pond are from the same outlet.
By the end of March I noticed a couple of my Shumupkins and 1 of the Koi were not really doing much more than lazing at the bottom, only moving occaisionaly. Then a Shubimpkin died, then another and then the Koi. All about a week apart. At the same time the other koi started to act lazy. A week later he died. So I went back to the outlet for advice once It became clear this was an issue and not natural.
The outlet said my amonia was high. It was within the first, yellow box, 0-2.4 mg/l on the colour guide provided by an API test kit.
I bought some bacteria boost and added it to the filter and took home a test kit. That was a week ago.

At the weekend I tested the water and it was the same, 0 - 2.4 mg/l and last night I tested again and it was the same again so no change.

Today I returned home from work and found another Shubumpkin dead. None of the dead fish showed any signs of desease as far as I could see but I am no expert.
Tonight ALL the fish are lazy at the bottom of the pond.

I have no idea what to do about this amonia problem, if that is what is killing my fish. Can anyone help?

The API kit measures Total Ammonia (TAN). Only the un-ionized Ammonia is toxic. The amount of free Ammonia (un-ionized) is determined by water temperature and pH level. As temperature and pH rise, more of the TAN becomes un-ionized. If you know the pH and temperature of your pond, post them. I will compute the free Ammonia level for you.
I suspect that you problem is not Ammonia.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
If your reading is showing ammonia being in the first box on the API colour chart, then your ammonia level shouldn't be the problem.
More information is required about your pond and care routine.
A picture is always helpful.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
So you guys do not recommend a water change, it sounds like water quality issues to me, would a water change and aeration hurt? Sounds like something needs to be done quickly all it could be a total loss. Would love the input

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Water change, absolutely. Aeration always helps.
I think something other than ammonia is killing the fish though.
I wonder what the source water has been though...?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi again, thanks for the fast responses. I have attached a picture of my pond. It is roughly 16' by 11' and 36" at it's deepest.
It has quite a bit of stringy algae if that means anything.
I have the pump on full power.
The filter is one with a handle on top that turns so that you can clean it without stripping it down. I have done that twice since last August.
The down turn of the fish has been the last 5 weeks or so, saying that, the gold fish have been very active until this last week.
I have fed them daily on recognised pallets, at the moment they are on Tetra Pond Pallets Mini and have been for the last two weeks.
In early spring I have had some building working done around the pond with a patio being laid and new steps which are next to the pond.
I will get a PH test kit today and a dechlorinator along with a amonia binder just in case.

If there is anymore info you need please ask.
I really do appreciate the time you have all taken to offer me assistance.

Attachments

• pond-forum.gif
    pond-forum.gif
    523.2 KB · Views: 288
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
The first problem I see is there is no berm around the pond to prevent surface water run-off from entering the pond.
If you had a new patio installed recently, and a mechanical tamper was used to set the bed for the patio blocks, it could have dripped some oil or gas as it was running, so that could be running into the pond. Any pesticides, chemicals or fertilizer from the lawn could be running into the pond or your neighbours yard, or run-off from the fence itself.
The plant population seems low. I would consider converting that planter you have with the hostas into a bog type filter which would help keep the pond water healthier. Live plants clean water better than a mechanical filter.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Do a 50% water change like Rob suggested and reduce your feedings to 1/week for now.
The fish food is feeding your hair algae growth until you can get some plants in there to compete for the phosphorus.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK, I have done a 30 - 40% water out and am now putting the water back in using a dechlorinator.
My pond PH is around 7.5 but the water I am adding is around 6.2. Thats a hell of a difference.
I have a PH Up in my PH kit but as the pond is re-filling so slowly how is it best to add it?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Use plain Baking Soda. Use One (1) Level teaspoon per gallon of water. Repeat this daily until you reach the pH that you want. Since you have no way of knowing the exact gallonage that you are changing, this will need to be monitored closely. Keep in mind that what ever action you may take or not take, the fish will be stressed by the pH change.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I was also going to comment about the lack of a berm. If your pond is at ground level, you can get run-off from your yard, and that can include harmful chemicals.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for your advice all.
Today I have PH 7.2, Amonia 0-0.25 although a ligther yellow than yesterday. Nitrite 0, pale blue.

One of my Gold fish is now looking lazy which is not a good sign.

Yesterday I did a 30-40% water change using a dechlorinator so I don't know if that has upset him.

Can dying plants be the cause?? I have had some grass looking plants that have survived well all winter but now seem to be dying. The rest of the plants seem to be doing well.

Ask a Question