An unwelcome visitor!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I was thinking about putting up the pond net, since the leaves here are already falling like crazy. I put it off for a while, since it's so hot outside. Then yesterday morning, I looked out the window to see this booger eating my biggest fish! We put the net up tonight!

Attachments

• IMG_2067.jpg
    IMG_2067.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_2089.jpg
    IMG_2089.jpg
    339.1 KB · Views: 79
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
UGGGGGGGGGGGG GET THE DOG OUT OR THE SCARECROW

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I went out to shoo him away and he was not at ALL intimidated by me. I got within 12 feet of him. I was telling him in a stern voice to go back to the big public park with a lake. My neighbor came up to see what all the commotion was about. When she joined me, he slowly walked down the hill and onto the sidewalk. He sauntered down the sidewalk for a bit, then flew up to a rooftop.
Later in the day, I saw him in the pond AGAIN! I knew I needed something big and flappy to make an impression, so I grabbed our humongous American flag from the holder and ran through the yard (in my nightshirt and crocs) waving the flag and yelling. It was like I had some sort of patriotic seizure. I really hope one of the neighbors across the street has a doorbell camera. I know it had to be funny!
The net is on now, though, so he will hopefully go shopping for his groceries somewhere else!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It was like I had some sort of patriotic seizure. I really hope one of the neighbors across the street has a doorbell camera
THAT CRACKED ME UP
I to had a heron a week ago but i was not as nice i grabbed THE FIRST THING I COULD GET MY HANDS ON and hurled it at him not meaning NOT to hit him but to tell him dangerous restaurant here, it may come with a cost. i TOO WAS CRAZED BUT IT WAS LESS PATRIOTIC more like Willam Wallace meets little john with the rocks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I know people have asked about methods of netting in the past. While my net is fresh and newly set up, I thought I'd share some pictures. The pond is below an oak tree that drops tons of leaves and acorns. I find that this set up - one side high and with the net sloping down to the ground on the other - lets the leaves roll and blow down to the ground in a pile. It makes for easy clean up with the leaf blower. I will also put a layer of fine black tulle over this, which keeps the acorns out. I skipped the tulle last year. After fishing buckets and buckets of slimy acorns out of the very cold water, that tulle is going on this year for sure!

Attachments

• IMG_2113.jpeg
    IMG_2113.jpeg
    370.8 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_2114.jpeg
    IMG_2114.jpeg
    383.7 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_2115.jpeg
    IMG_2115.jpeg
    358.3 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_2116.jpeg
    IMG_2116.jpeg
    415.9 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_2117.jpeg
    IMG_2117.jpeg
    416.4 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_2118.jpeg
    IMG_2118.jpeg
    419.4 KB · Views: 52

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Our anti heron net is up 24/7 I have seen them in Jan in the snow hunting.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Good for the net! I know those birds are so persistent! They will keep coming back forever as I have had my net up for years and every once in awhile one comes back to check my pond out. One even tried to climb the net! My net is getting old and I suppose if the heron keeps coming one day the net will rip and the bird may get in again. I have a short wire fence around the bottom of my pond reinforced w/more wire too so that may help. They will try to squeeze in any hole that exists. Oh yes I know as I have photo's of one entering in before I added the extra wire. This was actually before I had the net on top but I watched him/her squeeze in between the fence even w/fishing line around it too. It did not fly in at that time.

IMG_1267.JPG

Now I have the net and the extra wire. I did remove that ugly white fence tho and added more dark wire.

IMG_8286.JPG

After the white fence was removed

IMG_8656.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Not sure if I've told this story, but bear with me if I have; last year, I was weeding the gardens around the outside of my pondhouse. Middle of the day sort of thing, so quiet, no one else around. I didn't even hear it but saw peripherally to my right, something move. I looked and a blue heron stood on the fence separating my yard from my back neighbor's. It was so quiet, just standing there. I cursed under my breath, but only because I didn't have my camera handy and knew if I moved, it'd take off. So, I just watched. Didn't move, just waited. It started to get into my brain that it was still late May and I hadn't unrolled the top screen over my pondhouse yet. Would it fly up top? I didn't think so as I have 4'x4' latticed opening that should/would impede it's entry or takeoff, should that be a possibility. Still, I wanted to know. So I was waiting and watching.

The heron flew then from the fence-line, perhaps 15' away, and down to the southeast side of the pondhouse (I was working on the west side). Since everything is screen, I sorta could see it as it slowly made it's way from the SE corner to the NE corner. Turning it would mean it would come between the house and pondhouse, something I also wondered about (would it be leery of close proximity?). It turned back to the south and then repeated the pattern, I guess looking to find a way inside the screen. I think this went on for like 20 minutes until it finally decided to turn the NE corner and move toward the doorway. Now, I know they're smart but I didn't think it would actually try and pry between the screen door and the jamb but...

It finally passed the door, again continuing with it's circle pattern of the pondhouse. You know it could hear the water and knew where the fish were...I never moved even as it turned the NW corner and started toward me, unaware I was even there. Well, I'd had enough and was bored; the bird wasn't going to attempt going through the ceiling lattice and that's all I really needed to know. I suddenly stood up and before I could say anything/wave my arms, it lifted in a silence of wings that was amazing. Not a sound, and it moved so gracefully, almost rising vertically toward the roof of my house. As I moved to follow, it flew and landed on my neighbor's rood to the west, looking back at me as if to say; some day, yep; some day!

There, that's MY heron story and it didn't include netting the pond nor cursing/crying at any fish loss.

And I bet none of you will ever believe I screened the whole pond in without ever thinking 'what if a heron stops by?'. Nope, I was out to stop the more nefarious predator; mosquitoes!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Not sure if I've told this story, but bear with me if I have; last year, I was weeding the gardens around the outside of my pondhouse. Middle of the day sort of thing, so quiet, no one else around. I didn't even hear it but saw peripherally to my right, something move. I looked and a blue heron stood on the fence separating my yard from my back neighbor's. It was so quiet, just standing there. I cursed under my breath, but only because I didn't have my camera handy and knew if I moved, it'd take off. So, I just watched. Didn't move, just waited. It started to get into my brain that it was still late May and I hadn't unrolled the top screen over my pondhouse yet. Would it fly up top? I didn't think so as I have 4'x4' latticed opening that should/would impede it's entry or takeoff, should that be a possibility. Still, I wanted to know. So I was waiting and watching.

The heron flew then from the fence-line, perhaps 15' away, and down to the southeast side of the pondhouse (I was working on the west side). Since everything is screen, I sorta could see it as it slowly made it's way from the SE corner to the NE corner. Turning it would mean it would come between the house and pondhouse, something I also wondered about (would it be leery of close proximity?). It turned back to the south and then repeated the pattern, I guess looking to find a way inside the screen. I think this went on for like 20 minutes until it finally decided to turn the NE corner and move toward the doorway. Now, I know they're smart but I didn't think it would actually try and pry between the screen door and the jamb but...

It finally passed the door, again continuing with it's circle pattern of the pondhouse. You know it could hear the water and knew where the fish were...I never moved even as it turned the NW corner and started toward me, unaware I was even there. Well, I'd had enough and was bored; the bird wasn't going to attempt going through the ceiling lattice and that's all I really needed to know. I suddenly stood up and before I could say anything/wave my arms, it lifted in a silence of wings that was amazing. Not a sound, and it moved so gracefully, almost rising vertically toward the roof of my house. As I moved to follow, it flew and landed on my neighbor's rood to the west, looking back at me as if to say; some day, yep; some day!

There, that's MY heron story and it didn't include netting the pond nor cursing/crying at any fish loss.

And I bet none of you will ever believe I screened the whole pond in without ever thinking 'what if a heron stops by?'. Nope, I was out to stop the more nefarious predator; mosquitoes!
That's a good story! Yes, when they spread their wings, they are magnificent!!!!

Ask a Question