Anacharis — what to do

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
I had an explosive anacharis growth this year . The submerged plant covers a 4x4 x3 ft deep section of the pond . That’s approximately 25% of the pond. In past years the growth was 20% of that. I always left the plant in the pond thru the winter figuring whatever died off I would scope out in early spring.
But with that much growth I’m concerned if there is a massive die off during the winter it would create problems with DOC. The pond is 3000 gal max depth 3ft. There are 3 koi between 18-24“ and approx 60 gold fish. I leave my pumps running year round and there is a 16 ft stream feeding the pond .
Any thoughts would be appreciated
9041BAE8-5C8F-4FD4-8081-04D9DB9A295F.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
if you're getting decent summer growth, you could halve the anacharis and be fine going into next season. My hornwort herd is still growing so I just leave mine as is but in the future, I'll be doing exactly what I advised above.

And, I know anacharis won't die below the ice so you're only concerned about that portion that gets locked in ice. Not sure that would die but you could trim the herd below the ice line and that too would calm your concerns.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
if you're getting decent summer growth, you could halve the anacharis and be fine going into next season. My hornwort herd is still growing so I just leave mine as is but in the future, I'll be doing exactly what I advised above.

And, I know anacharis won't die below the ice so you're only concerned about that portion that gets locked in ice. Not sure that would die but you could trim the herd below the ice line and that too would calm your concerns.
Thanks... I’m ok not trimming back as long as there is minimal plant death... I don’t mind it growing out to 50% of the ponds surface area especially since the fish seem to enjoy it.. plus added predator protection..

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I just let mine grow, it has never caused pond issues. The hornwort is a forest, I do yank it now and then.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks... I’m ok not trimming back as long as there is minimal plant death... I don’t mind it growing out to 50% of the ponds surface area especially since the fish seem to enjoy it.. plus added predator protection..
be careful re the size of your anacharis herd as in summer especially, underwater plants give off oxygen during the day but consume it at night. If you have a lot of supplemental surface agitation, you should be fine. If not, provide some or thin the anacharis.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
Thanks I have water returning to the pond from 3 different areas including a 16 ft stream so plenty of oxygenated water

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
You could thin it and give it away, I’ve got two aquariums and a mini pond that would enjoy more plants! Lol. Seriously, if it gets to be too much, post in the classifieds here, have folks send you the shipping cost, and ship them a box. You would trim a set amount off the forest, wrap in damp paper, like newspapers, then seal it in plastic, box it and send it out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
You could thin it and give it away, I’ve got two aquariums and a mini pond that would enjoy more plants! Lol. Seriously, if it gets to be too much, post in the classifieds here, have folks send you the shipping cost, and ship them a box. You would trim a set amount off the forest, wrap in damp paper, like newspapers, then seal it in plastic, box it and send it out.
So are you hinting that you would like me to send you some plants. Send me a PM. I will gladly send you some for the price of shipping . I have a ton of yellow flag iris and parrots feather if you are interested

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Is your anacharis growing in anything, or is it bareroot? I tried to overwinter some a few years back, and in the spring all I had was mush on the bottom of my pond!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Is your anacharis growing in anything, or is it bareroot? I tried to overwinter some a few years back, and in the spring all I had was mush on the bottom of my pond!
Mine overwinters, stays green all winter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
Was tossed into the pond several years ago weighted with glass beads. What has erupted is just floating and gets tangled up with my lily plants . I thought most had died off after last winter but ended up with a massive forrest

Ask a Question