Anacharis versus hornwort

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
So I got myself confused on the difference between anacharis and hornwort. From what I understand both are oxygenating plants that live below the surface of the pond and help control algae growth. Does that about sum it up or are there significant differences.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have both in my pond and fish tanks and like them both. The anacharis grows better outside for me and even blooms a small white flower. The goldfish seem to like to eat the plants. The hornwort is not as soft as the anacharis and my fish don't tend to eat it. It grows well but doesn't get any flowers (at least mine don't) I leave both of them free floating and they both are pretty hardy even in low light. The only thing I have noticed about the hornwort is if it isn't "happy" it will drop its needles and make a mess in the pond or tank.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I don't have fish so don't need to worry about that, and what do you mean low light? Water visibility or how much sun the pond gets?
And how do I keep hornwort happy?? Lol

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
You should be fine with the hornwort. I had some in my nature pond last year and it took over very quickly. I didnt do anything to it and the nature pond didnt have any pump or circulation, just standing water (not stagnant ;) The hornwort was so happy the branches are as bushy and big as the squirrel's tail!

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Can you pot them? I've seen differing opinions on this. Some say they tie a lead weight around a bunch and others that they pot it. It would be nice for me to be able to confine them somewhat so netting the pond is easier.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I didnt pot them but I tied them up with lead weight (in the big pond). In my nature pond which was only about a foot deep, I floated it then when it took off, some part of it attached itself to the bottom and grew roots. So I guess you could pot it :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sure :)

By low light I mean not much sun. I'm not sure exactly what makes the hornwort "unhappy" but I do know when it hasn't done well it drops it's needles and makes a mess. This has happened more in a tank than the pond though so maybe it's due to lighting (the pond having more light than my tanks)

Anacharis will grow shoots or stems from the main plant so you might be able to plant it although I have never tried it. Hornwort grows different and I'm not sure if it would do well in a pot.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Can you pot them? I've seen differing opinions on this. Some say they tie a lead weight around a bunch and others that they pot it. It would be nice for me to be able to confine them somewhat so netting the pond is easier.

I'm not sure what you mean by netting the pond would be easier? Neither of these plants grow out of the water. Unless of course you mean by cleaning the pond using a net? :D

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Some plants have the ability to affected the growth/survival of other plants. This is called Allelopathy. Water Hyacinth has this ability in respects to some specie of algae. Probably the best example of plant allelopathy is Juglans (Black Walnut). Very little will growth in the immediate vicinity of these trees. Maybe you have another plant that just doesn't like submerged plants.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Some plants have the ability to affected the growth/survival of other plants. This is called Allelopathy. Water Hyacinth has this ability in respects to some specie of algae. Probably the best example of plant allelopathy is Juglans (Black Walnut). Very little will growth in the immediate vicinity of these trees. Maybe you have another plant that just doesn't like submerged plants.
off topic.. I wish the wisteria would be sensitive to black walnut... I have like huge 10 black walnut trees and wisteria didn't care :cry:

Ask a Question