MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I bought two 7" Anacharis plants 2 months ago and planted them in my aquarium with the 4 fish that I will place in my new pond. They quickly grew to about 14". I divided and replanted. Now, the 4 of them are about 14" again. I am going to just let them keep going and they should be about 18" - 20" when I move them to the pond. The pond is 30" deep. If I plant them, will they be too deep to get sufficient light in the pond? Should I let them float until they are about 30" before I plant them? If I do plant them, will I lose bottom leaves because of the water depth?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I tossed handfuls into my big pond, free floating. It settled in the deep end, around 5.5 feet deep. It grows like a tree, leaves from the bottom to the top. I am sure it has collected some muck to anchor itself.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
So, you didn't anchor them? They eventually anchored themselves?
A few years ago I drained the pond so I could do an overhaul of the walls. When the water level got down really low, I was scrambling around trying to rescue baby fish and tadpoles from the little puddles. I noticed that there were a LOT of the oxygenator plants [like anacharis] that had "become one with" the algal growth at the bottom of the pond. Not going to go so far as to say they rooted down there, but were most definitely anchored. It's like the stuff on the bottom had formed a fabric-like texture -- really cool!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So, you didn't anchor them? They eventually anchored themselves?
I am a lazy ponder, I grab the stuff out of my little pond that gets way overgrown with it and toss into the big pond.
I had trees of it last year. This is the 5 foot deep area This is a mix of hornwort and anacharis

p.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
yes it should grow easily in that depth , but do plant few in shallow places and float some as they need clear water so light reaches them .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
I am a lazy ponder, I grab the stuff out of my little pond that gets way overgrown with it and toss into the big pond.
I had trees of it last year. This is the 5 foot deep area This is a mix of hornwort and anacharis

View attachment 98494
in wild i have seen hornwort more then 20 to 30 feet deep and growing till surface was scary huge . and the diameter was huge of each plant , it can b there are different species among them as i noticed some minor differences in leaves and stem , plant formation structure but they look same , some varieties turn maroon in one season
i would not recommend floating a stem unless it is heeavy bunch and or have developed some roots , at times if u float a stem it will not flourish tht well and die . one factor can b that some fishes are more aggressive to plants will toss it around and will break the stem in to pieces if its floating

Last edited:

Ask a Question