Anacharis

ashirley

Annie in SC
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
I am certain this isn't spelled correctly but do any of you use this as an oxygenator? Is it really necessary? I have two waterfalls and and aerator but am always looking for ways to make the fish happier!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have it growing in fishless ponds then toss it into ponds with fish. The fish eat it up. I also have hornwort in the pond.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I had it and fish ate every bit up! It will make your fish happy but you won't have it for long :D

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have both anacharis and hornwort. I don't feed my fish currently and allow them to eat anything in the pond.
The goldfish love eating the anacharis. It grows quite quickly but won't over grow due to the fish. Always a net gain
The hornwort is ridiculous though. From just 3 bundles it grew to cover the deep half of the pond in bundles reaching 3ft tall in a month n a half. My fish don't seem to eat it at all.
You can get both. More the merrier and variety is always nice.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My fish eat the hornwort. I watch them via the cams snacking on it. I love the look, a nice dense forest of plants the fish swim in.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Yeah anacharis will be nibbled on by the fish but it grows too fast in my pond to have an effect. It tends to grow where the water flow is the fastest and for me that is near the waterfalls. Couple of summers ago when I planted it I put it nowhere near the waterfalls. Wanted it to fill in a certain spot. Well it didn’t do anything and I thought it died...only to reappear the following summer with a vengeance near the waterfalls. I like the natural effect it gives. Long green under water plants flowing to the current of the water looks cool imo.

Ask a Question