Anchor worms in my QT

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The story: I got 5 goldfish about a week ago and put them in a QT. At the time I noticed one had a red spot (3-4 mm) where his dorsal fin meets the body. A couple of days later I noticed red spots on other fish, started doing some research and concluded that the fish had ulcers or the beginning of them and some melafix couldn't hurt. I've been dosing them with that since Monday. The water was full of green algae so I couldn't see much, even when they darted up to feed.

Yesterday or today the water started to clear and I thought I noticed something sticking out. Again researching and remembering a poor betta I had 30+ years ago, I suspected anchor worms. Yup, I caught all five fish. Three of them had a total of 5 worms, all attached right where the dorsal fin meets the body.

Nitrites and ammonia are both 0 in the QT.

So what do I do? Nothing but the melafix and continue to catch them every few days to check for worms? Should I try to treat for the AW? From what I can tell, I should not introduce them to my pond for 3 weeks or more after the last symptoms. After these fish are out, do I scrub the QT clean destroying any biofilter, etc?

Thanks for any advice.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Get some Dimilin or Dimilin X .
Dimilin (diflubenzuron) is extremely safe for use in fish and can be mixed with other medications. Dimlin is very effective for anchor worm and fish lice, but nothing else. Dimlin is very toxic to insects (including their larvae) and crustaceans (including shrimp and crayfish), and basically anything with an exoskeleton that sheds, but it is safe for fish, plants, the biofilter, and dogs, birds, and other mammals that might drink from the pond.
You can buy Dimilin X on ebay.
Follow directions on bottle or package.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
@DoDad dimilin powder is on the UK's banned list any chance of sending some over to the UK my friend ;)

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Just a follow up. I got and used some Dimilin X. Three treatments over 2 weeks. No sign of anchor worms after the first treatment (and none after I pulled them out the 2nd time). The ulcers went away and after some additional quarantine, all 5 fish are happily swimming in my pond.

Now I have enough Dimiln to treat 25,000 gallons of water. :)

Ask a Question