Anchor Worms

hewhoisatpeace

Evil Genius
Reaction score
I found today that one of my goldfish had developed red spots. I netted this fish and transferred him (or her) to a 5g quarantine tank, where I easily diagnosed anchor worm infestation.

Now, due to my lack of experience with ponds, I do not have a first aid kit that has anything that can help. Not only that, but I have looked all over town for Dimilin. I have placed the infected goldfish in a salt bath, but at 8:00 PM Friday, I'm needing to find some ASAP.

I have also been eyeing my other fish today. I cannot find any evidence of infestation, but I am pretty sure that I need to reat the entire 3000g pond.

Any ideas on this subject? I could probably take the pond down to 1000g and still maintain filtration and aeration, but would I have a chance of eggs remaining in my plant pots and marginal shelving? I could even remove the fish, treat them, shock the remaining water, then dilute with fresh water before returning the fish.

Anyone experienced with the treatment of this asinine parasite I thank in advance for your response.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Can you get some Potassium Permanganate? (Dosage is 10ml/l)
Stop feeding the fish for 3-4 days and they will feed off the worms.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I would use google and see if you can find something that is available in your area. Do you have a feed and grain store nearby? They have a lot of meds you can't get elsewhere.

Reaction score
No, I used anchors away and treated my whole pond 3 times last year because the temps were lower, to make sure they were gone. I have never used pp. I don't know if I would want to take the chance that they would eat the parasites. Mine were the lice variety and produce eggs that keep rehatching. The dimlin kills the larvae before they are hatched and can attatch to the host.

hewhoisatpeace

Evil Genius
Reaction score
Really? Is that your best idea of a solution for anchorworms?

I have seen them on several comets as well as the lionhead oranda I originally found them on. I am going to have to treat the pond, but I am concerned about the burning of the koi gills. I haven't yet found any on my koi, but they are in there, so I know I need to treat. DoDad, any advice you can offer here would be appreciated.

Also, is this problem fatal? How long do I have between detection and death, on average?

Ask a Question