Anchoring water hyacinth

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
Canada
I have purchased water hyacinth for my new pond basin/bowl. I want to anchor them. I tried searching to no avail! They need to be anchored at about 18”. What would be your recommendation?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    262.1 KB · Views: 36

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You mean planted? Mine just float I do have a floating rope around them to keep them together in one spot.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I'm not totally sure when you say anchored at 18".
Do you mean the water is 18" deep?
That kiddie pool doesn't look that deep, but maybe it is?

What is the actual problem?
Is the plant getting knocked out of the water or maybe the wind is blowing it out?

How about tying a string to the plant just above the roots with a weight on the other end? Just make it snug around the stem, not too tight so the plant can grow.
The weight could just be a rock.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I am a little confused, as well. Are you talking about depth? Or are you wanting to keep them from going over the side….?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I imagine they mean that they don't want the hyacinth to go over the falls and into the pond and if that is the case the only answer would be poconojoe's....

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Can you tell me what poconojoe’s is/are?
I'm not totally sure when you say anchored at 18".
Do you mean the water is 18" deep?
That kiddie pool doesn't look that deep, but maybe it is?

What is the actual problem?
Is the plant getting knocked out of the water or maybe the wind is blowing it out?

How about tying a string to the plant just above the roots with a weight on the other end? Just make it snug around the stem, not too tight so the plant can grow.
The weight could just be a rock.
The answer was in reference to @poconojoe ’s response. I think we are all a little confused about what you are wanting to do, so we’re looking for more information from you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
Canada
I am a little confused, as well. Are you talking about depth? Or are you wanting to keep them from going over the side….?
I want to anchor them to the sides of the pipe that shoots water in to the bowl. The flow from the pipe is quite substantial and sets up quite a “current”. I am not sure if they will grow in the bowl at all because of the significant water movement but I wanted to try. If they aren’t doing well over the next while I will throw them in my big pond but I figured the only way to at least try was to anchor them so they at least aren’t in the direct flow of the pile.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you for clarifying this for us. You could use a pool noodle or run a piece of fishing line across to hold them back. Some plants, however, do thrive better in a calm-water environment, and I think that water hyacinth is one of those plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Thank you for clarifying this for us. You could use a pool noodle or run a piece of fishing line across to hold them back. Some plants, however, do thrive better in a calm-water environment, and I think that water hyacinth is one of those plants.
I have done this. Ran a string across the pond, slightly under the surface of the water. It's hardly noticeable. If you want, use fishing line for invisibility. It will hold any floating plants from drifting away.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
Canada
Thanks for everybody’s thoughts. You are all great! We ended up with my husband drilling holes in two rocks and tying the plants to them. Now they are where I want them. I don’t know if they will thrive but as I said, they will go into the big pond if they aren’t doing well. I will let you know.

Ask a Question