And so it begins

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
Canada
The ice has arrived...Good luck my aquatic friends, see you in April...

Attachments

• frozen pond beer.JPG
    frozen pond beer.JPG
    220.2 KB · Views: 242
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
Canada
Be sure to fire an aerator, breather or heater in there for the winter. You need that hole in the ice.
Oh ya for sure, I have the aerator going year round ( I just raise it closer to the surface for the winter) and will be getting the breather in probably in the next month or so depending on the weather.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Oh ya for sure, I have the aerator going year round ( I just raise it closer to the surface for the winter) and will be getting the breather in probably in the next month or so depending on the weather.
@Kaniff I note that you have a flat edge all around your pond as we have .
So my friend , have you ever thought of adding policarbonate roofing sheets to the top of the pond in the hope it stops your water from freezing .
We have 7c on the pond even as low as -10c and no ice .

Dave

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Dave, the Greater Toronto Area (GTA) experiences -30C routinely during the winter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
Canada
@Kaniff I note that you have a flat edge all around your pond as we have .
So my friend , have you ever thought of adding policarbonate roofing sheets to the top of the pond in the hope it stops your water from freezing .
We have 7c on the pond even as low as -10c and no ice .

Dave
morewater is right, the winters can get a bit chilly here and the temps stay pretty low for a couple months straight. I thought about building a greenhouse type of shelter for it before but figured that would only be beneficial in the late fall and early spring. Nothing will stop it from freezing over in mid-late winter.

Ask a Question