And this why we use clay soil for water lilys -- interesting article

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I just ran across this and found it interesting. Here's the quote that caught my attention regarding use of clay soil (IOW, Kitty litter or any soil containing clay) with water lilies --

"The recommendation for using soil that contains clay comes from the fact that clay particles serve as a colloidal sponge, adsorbing and holding onto dissolved nutrients until the lily roots access them. In extremely sandy soil, added nutrients quickly dissolve and migrate out of the sand into the water. There they only feed algae, not the waterlily. Clay in soil helps to slow the loss of fertilizer to the water, keeping it in the soil pot where the roots access it."

And here's the link.
http://www.watergardenersinternational.org/journal/1-3/rich/page1.html

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine are in kitty litter I tried a few free floating, they did lousy, found a free one just recently, it had 4 leaves on it. It is being planted now.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5/6
Country
United States
I know this is an old thread but after searching for an hour I finally found what I needed to know. What to use to plant lilies in. I need to learn this site better. Thanks to all you who care to share for us newbies.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I know this is an old thread but after searching for an hour I finally found what I needed to know. What to use to plant lilies in. I need to learn this site better. Thanks to all you who care to share for us newbies.
Plain non clumping kitty litter works great. But I use safety absorbent (Safe T Sorb) from tractor supply cause it is a bigger bag and cheaper.

NIce little snippet of info. to add to that or rephase, clay has a higher CEC (cation exchange capacity) than sand or gravel which are inert.

Ask a Question