And we're off! Headed to Michigan for NOAC!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
image.jpg

The bus is nice, and it looks like there will be enough seats that all adults will have a seat to themselves -- can't beat that, especially since I brought more carry-on stuff than I have room for.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hows it going Maggie? Miss seeing you on the forum.
We are headed back home as I write this. I think we're in Indianapolis, Indiana at the moment.

Had a great week, and from what I could tell, the boys all seemed to have a good time. But if you know anything about teenage boys, you know that they are very hard to read.

I don't know what the temperatures actually were in E. Lansing, but I know that we were quite comfortable for our entire stay. No rain. There were an estimated 15,000 participants, including adults. We had a program to attend every evening [except Thurs.], and classes that we were scheduled to attend during the mornings. They had all kinds of fun activities. One of the most fun things was a system called SPARK [I called it "sparkle"]. It was a connectivity / social media thing where we all wore this little thing on our ID badge lanyard [I'll post a pic]. Once you activated your "sparkle," you were supposed to "spark" with all of the other scouts & scouters -- that means you hold your "sparks" together, and once they turned green, you had transfered name & location with that other person [you control the amount of information to be shared when you set up your profile]. The goal was to "meet" and interact with as many people [strangers] as you could. Most of the time, while you were "sparking," you'd ask each other where they were from, etc. Then every day you download you "spark" info so you can see who you interacted with. It was great fun -- I'm basically a shy person, but I was striking up conversations with perfect strangers and having a great time! Kids & adults -- it really caught on.

They had shuttle busses, but we tried to walk as much as possible. According to my FitBit, I probably averaged about 20,000 steps a day.....or close to 10 miles a day.

But I can't wait to get home and sleep in my own bed. This dorm keeps the beds almost ceiling height because that gives the college students room underneath the beds for furniture, etc. On arrival all of us older folks asked to have our beds lowered -- at a certain age, climbing UP into bed isn't a fun thing any more. Most of the boys either slept up high, or pulled their mattresses down to the floor [another place that isn't good for getting into & out of a bed]. Anyway, when they lowered mine & my roommates beds, they were still too high. I felt like I was mounting a horse every time I climbed in bed. And my roommate actully fell out of bed the 1st morning [she was OK]. I woke up just as she hit the floor, asked if she was OK, then I was back fast asleep.

Our SPARKS!
image.jpg

Phillip & I the morning we started the trip.
image.jpg

The backpack for those times you can't decide what to leave at home...
image.jpg

On the last night all of our scouts decided to save their picnic lunch boxes from earlier, decorate them, and wear them as hats for the evening show! This my son, Phillip, front....:.
image.jpg

....and back!
image.jpg

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Those sashes are really cool, they will take longer to show the dirt. :) Glad you had a good time.
Thank you! I think the sashes are meant to be collectors and not for general use. Too bad, 'cause I think they look great with the uniform. It was fun getiing to wear them all week at NOAC.

We're about 45 minutes outside of Shreveport!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Wow, Sounds like you had a fun but exhausting trip (at least I know it would be for me) lol

Glad all went well.
The worst parts were the bus ride there and the bus ride back......about 20 hours each way. My tailbone is killing me!

Another fun thing I did..... A few hours into the trip I decided to post a trip update on Face Book for all the parents that I have friended [which was mostly the boys from my troop]. I was going by memory, so by the 2nd post, I realized I was leaving people out. Then I got the bright idea to start a FB "group" where I could add everyone. The only problem with that is that not all the boys are from my troop so i didn't have parents "friended" for the rest of the boys. I managed to get the word out, though, and many parents were able to join the group. It started out just to notify them of our road progress, but ended up being a mini-journal of the entire trip. I took a lot of pics and tried really hard to capture every scout [not just the ones in my troop]. What a great idea that was, as it gave all the parents a small window into the activities! I shared the group with @Big Lou because he responds to most of my scout related posts on FB, so he was even following along!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Those sashes are really cool, they will take longer to show the dirt. :) Glad you had a good time.
One cool thing about the sashes...... They added the founding date and the centennial date at either end of the arrow -- Brotherhood. Then they added the centennial logo in the middle -- Vigil. How cool is that? I'll see if I can find a good picture to share [all my pics are on the iPhone, and I guess, due to wi-fi and cellular issues, they didn't transfer over to the iPad like they usually do, so I'll have to do that manually].

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
That is cool. Out council merged a couple years ago and they forced a lodge name change and with that a change in the totem and the lodge flap. I was in the first group of vigil members for the new lodge so I wasn't able to get the vigil turtle. :( I think the old flap is better. One of these days I will need to put the new flap on my shirt.

Attachments

• new.JPG
    new.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 261
  • old.JPG
    old.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 230

Ask a Question